[Linear Algebra] prove that A is singular (A is a square matrix)?

In summary: What do you mean how is column j of A formed? How do i show that the rank is less than 8 without using numbers?If I told you the answers to these questions, I would be doing the whole question for you. I gave you hints, and will stop there.
nooonz

Homework Statement

Let A = BC
where B is 8*3 and C is 3*8
Prove that A is singular.

Homework Equations

A is singular when Det(A)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

When B and C are multiplied the result is A which is an 8*8 matrix. However, top prove it can't be non singular i chose a smaller matrix (2*3) and (3*2) and the result showed that if i chose the same numbers the answer is 0. But how do i prove it without numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the question, I think.
Yes, if det(A) = 0, then A is singular.
Yes, det(A) = det(B) det(C).

But for arbitrary 8x3 and 3x8 matrices B and C, respectively, it is not true (if det(B) and det(C) are non-zero, so is det(A)).

Have you quoted the complete question?

nooonz said:

Homework Statement

Let A = BC
where B is 8*3 and C is 3*8
Prove that A is singular.

Homework Equations

A is singular when Det(A)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

When B and C are multiplied the result is A which is an 8*8 matrix. However, top prove it can't be non singular i chose a smaller matrix (2*3) and (3*2) and the result showed that if i chose the same numbers the answer is 0. But how do i prove it without numbers?

You want to show that the rank of A is less than 8; in other words, you want to show that the number of linearly independent columns of A is less than 8. How is column j of A formed?

RGV

CompuChip said:
I don't really understand the question, I think.
Yes, if det(A) = 0, then A is singular.
Yes, det(A) = det(B) det(C).

But for arbitrary 8x3 and 3x8 matrices B and C, respectively, it is not true (if det(B) and det(C) are non-zero, so is det(A)).

Have you quoted the complete question?

yes, i quoted the entire question

Ray Vickson said:
You want to show that the rank of A is less than 8; in other words, you want to show that the number of linearly independent columns of A is less than 8. How is column j of A formed?

RGV

What do you mean how is column j of A formed? How do i show that the rank is less than 8 without using numbers?

If I told you the answers to these questions, I would be doing the whole question for you. I gave you hints, and will stop there.

RGV

nooonz said:
What do you mean how is column j of A formed? How do i show that the rank is less than 8 without using numbers?

OK, I will give a bit more of a hint. You have C = A*B, where C is 8x8, A is 8x3 and B is 3x8. Look at it as a linear transformation on E8 = E^8 (8-dimensional real space). It is composed of two transformations B:E8 --> E3, a linear transformation from an 8-dimensional space to a 3-dimensional one, followed by a transformation A:E3 --> E8, from a 3-dimensional space to an 8-dimensional one. Altogether, C:E8 --> E8 transforms E8 into a subspace C(E8) of E8, and you are asked to show that this transformation is not the identity. What is the dimension of the subspace C(E8)? Remember that we get to C(E8) from a subspace B(E8) of E3.

RGV

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be singular?

Singular matrices are square matrices that do not have an inverse. This means that they cannot be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix. In other words, the determinant of a singular matrix is equal to 0.

2. How can I prove that a matrix is singular?

To prove that a matrix is singular, you can calculate its determinant. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the matrix is singular. This is because the determinant represents the scaling factor of the matrix, and a determinant of 0 means that the matrix cannot be inverted.

3. Can a matrix be both singular and nonsingular?

No, a matrix can only be either singular or nonsingular. A singular matrix does not have an inverse, while a nonsingular matrix does have an inverse.

4. What are some properties of singular matrices?

One important property of singular matrices is that their columns are linearly dependent. This means that at least one column can be expressed as a linear combination of the other columns. Additionally, the rank of a singular matrix is less than its number of rows, and its null space is nontrivial.

5. How can the singularity of a matrix affect its solutions?

Singular matrices can cause problems when solving systems of equations. If a matrix is singular, it means that there is no unique solution to the system of equations. This can lead to infinite solutions or no solutions at all. In order to find a solution, the matrix must be nonsingular.