Linear Algebra (Transform a Basis Set)

In summary: Since \{u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, u_n\} form a basis for U, any vector in U can be written as a linear combination u= a_1u_1+ a_2u_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot a_nu_n. And that means that any vector in the range of T is of the form T(u)= a_1T(u_1)+ a_2T(u_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT(u_n). That says that \{T(u_1), T(u_2),
DanielFaraday

Homework Statement

If [tex]T:U\rightarrow V[/tex] is any linear transformation from U to V and [tex]B=\left\{u_1,u_2,\text{...},u_n\right\}[/tex] is a basis for U, then the set [tex]T(B)=\left\{T\left(u_1\right),T\left(u_2\right),\text{...} T\left(u_n\right)\right\}[/tex]

a. spans V.
b. spans U.
c. is a basis for V.
d. is linearly independent.
e. spans the range of T.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me like all of these things are true (which is wrong of course). But in the example below, the result of the transformation does in fact meet all of the above criteria. What am I missing here?

[tex]
u_1=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
u_2=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
u_3=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
T(x,y,z)=(x,2y,3z)
[/tex]
[tex]
T\left(u_1\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
T\left(u_2\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
2 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
[tex]
T\left(u_3\right)=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
T(B) couldn't very well span U if U and V are different sized vector spaces, so that let's out b. And T(B) might or might not span V, depending on the dimension of the kernel of T. For example, if T(u) = 0, T(B) couldn't possibly span V, and the vectors in T(B) couldn't possibly be linearly independent, and therefore couldn't be a basis for V.

Mark44 said:
T(B) couldn't very well span U if U and V are different sized vector spaces, so that let's out b. And T(B) might or might not span V, depending on the dimension of the kernel of T. For example, if T(u) = 0, T(B) couldn't possibly span V, and the vectors in T(B) couldn't possibly be linearly independent, and therefore couldn't be a basis for V.

Great point. Thinking of T(u) = 0 is very helpful. That basically eliminates everything except e doesn't it.

Okay, I think I got it. The reason why e is the correct answer is because we know that the transformation is linear, correct?

I think there's more to it than just that the transformation is linear. Seems like I remember a theorem that says that if T:U --> V is a linear transformation, and B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for U, then B = {T(u1), T(u2), ..., T(un)} spans the range of T.

Mark44 said:
I think there's more to it than just that the transformation is linear. Seems like I remember a theorem that says that if T:U --> V is a linear transformation, and B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for U, then B = {T(u1), T(u2), ..., T(un)} spans the range of T.

Okay. It makes sense, too.

Thanks! I am posting one more question as well (a True/False this time). Maybe you could take a look?

Since [itex]\{u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, u_n\}[/itex] form a basis for U, any vector in U can be written as a linear combination [itex]u= a_1u_1+ a_2u_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot a_nu_n[/itex]. And that means that any vector in the range of T is of the form [itex]T(u)= a_1T(u_1)+ a_2T(u_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT(u_n)[/itex]. That says that [itex]\{T(u_1), T(u_2), \cdot\cdot\cdot, T(u_n)\}[/itex] spans the range of T.

1. What is a basis set in linear algebra?

A basis set in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a vector space. It is the foundation of linear algebra and is used to transform vectors into different coordinate systems.

2. How do you transform a basis set?

To transform a basis set, you need to perform a change of basis. This involves finding a matrix that represents the transformation from one basis set to another. This matrix can then be used to transform any vector from one coordinate system to another.

3. What is the purpose of transforming a basis set?

The purpose of transforming a basis set is to simplify calculations and make it easier to analyze and understand data in different coordinate systems. It allows for more efficient computations and can reveal patterns and relationships that may not be apparent in the original basis set.

4. Can you transform a basis set into any other basis set?

Yes, as long as the new basis set is linearly independent and spans the same vector space as the original basis set. This means that any vector in the original basis set can be represented by a unique combination of vectors in the new basis set.

5. Are there any real-world applications of transforming a basis set?

Yes, transforming a basis set is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is essential in solving problems involving multiple coordinate systems, such as calculating trajectories in 3D space or analyzing data collected from different sources.