1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra (Transform a Basis Set)

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]T:U\rightarrow V[/tex] is any linear transformation from U to V and [tex]B=\left\{u_1,u_2,\text{...},u_n\right\}[/tex] is a basis for U, then the set [tex]T(B)=\left\{T\left(u_1\right),T\left(u_2\right),\text{...} T\left(u_n\right)\right\}[/tex]

a. spans V.
    b. spans U.
    c. is a basis for V.
    d. is linearly independent.
    e. spans the range of T.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems to me like all of these things are true (which is wrong of course). But in the example below, the result of the transformation does in fact meet all of the above criteria. What am I missing here?

[tex]
    u_1=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    1 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    u_2=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    1 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    u_3=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T(x,y,z)=(x,2y,3z)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T\left(u_1\right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    1 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T\left(u_2\right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    2 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T\left(u_3\right)=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    0 \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

T(B) couldn't very well span U if U and V are different sized vector spaces, so that lets out b. And T(B) might or might not span V, depending on the dimension of the kernel of T. For example, if T(u) = 0, T(B) couldn't possibly span V, and the vectors in T(B) couldn't possibly be linearly independent, and therefore couldn't be a basis for V.

4. Jul 15, 2009 #3
    Great point. Thinking of T(u) = 0 is very helpful. That basically eliminates everything except e doesn't it.

Okay, I think I got it. The reason why e is the correct answer is because we know that the transformation is linear, correct?

5. Jul 15, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think there's more to it than just that the transformation is linear. Seems like I remember a theorem that says that if T:U --> V is a linear transformation, and B = {u1, u2, ..., un} is a basis for U, then B = {T(u1), T(u2), ..., T(un)} spans the range of T.

6. Jul 15, 2009 #5
    Okay. It makes sense, too.

Thanks! I am posting one more question as well (a True/False this time). Maybe you could take a look?

7. Jul 16, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since [itex]\{u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, u_n\}[/itex] form a basis for U, any vector in U can be written as a linear combination [itex]u= a_1u_1+ a_2u_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot a_nu_n[/itex]. And that means that any vector in the range of T is of the form [itex]T(u)= a_1T(u_1)+ a_2T(u_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT(u_n)[/itex]. That says that [itex]\{T(u_1), T(u_2), \cdot\cdot\cdot, T(u_n)\}[/itex] spans the range of T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook