1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Vector Subspaces

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a nonempty subset U of R2 such that U is closed under scalar multiplication, but U is not a subspace of R2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I have it, but I just want to make sure it's right:

Let U = {(x, x + 2)} | x is in R}. Let u be in U. Then au = a(x, x + 2) = (ax, a(x + 2)), which is still in U (i.e. still on the same line). But this is not a subspace of R2 because 0 is not in this subset.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You get [itex]<0,0>[/itex] if you multiply by [itex]a=0[/itex].
    (Hint: What are the properties of subspaces?)
  4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    1) Additive Identity: 0 is in U.

2) Closed Under Addition: u, v in U implies u + v is in U.

3) Closed Under Scalar Multiplication: a is in R (or C) and u is in U implies au is in U.

So I need to come up with a subset that fails for one (or both) of the first two properties, but not for property 3.

How about checking for property 2? If u = (x, x + 2) and v = (y, y + 2), where u, v are in U, then u + v = (x + y, (x + y) + 4), which is not in U, so U is not a subspace of R2.
  5. Feb 21, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

...better, but:
    [tex]2<3,(3+2)>=<6,10> \notin U[/tex]
    so you don't have closure under scalar multiplication.
  6. Feb 21, 2008 #5
    Wow, I guess I don't. I really don't know where to go from here. Any hints on a a type of subset that would work in this situation?
  7. Feb 21, 2008 #6
    I was searching the forums and found pretty much the exact same question. Here's the thread if anyone is interested: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=41884

A set that works is the following: U = {(x, y) | xy = 0}. This set is closed under scalar multiplication, but not vector addition.
  8. Jan 31, 2010 #7

You are absolutely wrong.U={(x,x+2)| x is in R} is not closure under multiplication.
    Ex:put x=0,a=2 (0,2) is in U but (0,4) is not in U.
  9. Jan 31, 2010 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. he was told that almost two years ago!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?