1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Quadratic Regulator (Optimal Controller Design)

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    This is a general question. When using the optimal method to design a controller, specifically a linear quadratic regulator, you usually have a state-space representation of a system, and a cost function to minimize.

The cost function usually takes the (quadratic) form:
    199bb05a001f5356f01c371f3bc97d78.png

I don't understand how you choose the weight matrices Q and R to minimize or optimize your system. For example, say my single order state space system's input (u) is force, and the output (y) is speed. Further, I can make y=x, my state variable. So would a reasonable goal be to achieve minimal force and maximum speed? How do I choose Q and R to reflect this?

Also, I'm trying to tie all of this in with another method of controller design -- pole placement. I understand pole placement because I'm directly 'designing' the desired response characteristics of my system's behaviour. I don't really get optimal control in this sense. Is optimal control a 'final' step, after pole placement? Or do I use my original system and find Q and R to get desired behaviour?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?