Linearization of Non Linear Equation

In summary: Conversely, one can take ln(M) which yields the natural log of M. This line has a slope of -1.5. This indicates that the mass of a sphere of a material increases exponentially with the diameter of the sphere.
BlackJackal
Ok so here is the problem:

You have six steel bearing varying in size and you have their mass and diameter. When you graph the data you see that the mass (in Grams) goes up exponentially as diameter (in cm) goes up. Below is the table of the Mass and Diameters

M=.44 D=.4
M=2.04 D=.8
M=8.35 D=1.2
M=21.73 D=1.7
M=28.35 D=1.9
M=80.06 D=2.7

Ok so now you are supposed to graph the data above, which I did, and then you need to linearize the data, describe the importance of the slope of the linearized graph, and express the liearization as a new function.

Before we go any further I know that what the linearized data is supposed to be, because the proffesor told me. However I don't understand how he got it or what it means. Below is a list of points on the graph of the linearized function. BTW the second value is just M but I have no idea why that is.

D=2.7 LD=4.31
D=1.9 LD=3.05
D=1.7 LD=2.79
D=1.2 LD=2.03
D=.8 LD=1.27
D=.4 LD=.76

When you graph this you will see that the data is in the form of a line with slope of approx. 1.5. I have no idea the principles behind these operations and need help.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem to fit the second set of numbers you gave, but to linearize a set of exponentially increasing numbers, you plot their logs. For example, if your numbers were (1,10), (2,100), (3,1000),..., this is an exponential curve, but plotting the log base ten of the y components, (1,1),(2,2),(3,3),... , gives a linear curve (aka line).

Last edited:
I presume you are wanting to use a semi-log plot as StatusX indicated.

Take the log (base 10) or ln (natural log) of either dependent or independent variable or both if necessary, and see if you get a straight line.

The mass, M, of a sphere of a material is simply the density [itex]\rho[/itex] * volume, where volume is [itex]\frac{\pi}{6}D^3[/itex].

One can take Log(M) which takes the form a + b log D, which yields a straight line.

What is linearization of non-linear equation?

Linearization of non-linear equation is a process of approximating a non-linear equation with a linear equation in order to make it easier to solve or analyze.

Why do we need to linearize non-linear equations?

Linearization is necessary because non-linear equations are generally more difficult to solve and analyze than linear equations. By approximating a non-linear equation with a linear one, we can make it easier to work with and still get a good understanding of the behavior of the original equation.

How do we linearize a non-linear equation?

To linearize a non-linear equation, we use a technique called Taylor series expansion. This involves taking the first few terms of the Taylor series of the non-linear equation and using them to create a linear equation that closely approximates the original equation.

What are the limitations of linearizing non-linear equations?

Linearization is not always accurate and can only provide an approximation of the original equation. It is also limited to a small range of values and may not accurately represent the behavior of the original equation outside of that range.

In what fields is linearization of non-linear equations commonly used?

Linearization is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and mathematics to simplify the analysis of complex non-linear systems. It is also used in numerical methods to approximate the solution of non-linear equations.