What are the equations for lines and planes in 3D?

In summary, the student has difficulty with homework problems that involve finding parameter equations for lines and planes.
GameProgrammer
Hi everyone I hope I have the correct category for these questions! (I'm new to the forums). Anyways I'm currently in college studying to become a video game programmer, I've never taken physics before and I was doing fine in my course until we have started learning about Lines and Planes in 3D. I have a few questions regarding this topic. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Homework Statement

1) Find the parameter equations for the line through the point (5,1,0) that is perpendicular to the plane 2x-y+z=1
2) Find an equation of the plane passing through the point (3,0,8) and parallel to the plane 2x+5y+8z = 17
3)Show that the line through the points (0,1,1) and (1,-1,6) is perpendicular to the line through the points (-4,2,1) and (-1,6,2)

Homework Equations

r = r + tv

x = x + at
y = y + bt
z = z + ct

t = x-xo/a = y-yo/b = z-zo/c

P(t) = t(P1) + (1-t)P2

n*(r-ro) = 0

a(x-xo) + b(y-yo) + c(z-zo)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post any work that you did, or describe how you tried to approach the problem?

The first two problems I have no idea how to start, but here's what I have on the 3rd
r = r + tv
v = (1-0,-1-1,6-1)
v = <1,2,5>
r1 = <0,1,1>+t<1,2,5>
r1 = <t, 2t+1, 5t+1>

v = (-1-(-4), 6-2, 2-1)
v = <3, 4, 1>
r2 = <-4, 2, 1> + t<3, 4,1>
r2 = <3t-4, 4t+2, t+1>

r1*r2 = 0

You made a mistake calculating the direction vector of the first line. It should be <1,-2,5>

To check that two lines are perpendicular, you just need to check that their direction vectors are perpendicular... I'm not sure if "perpendicular" means that they must intersect when 3 dimensions are concerned. These two lines don't intersect.

So just check the dot product of the direction vectors.

For the first two problems, think about the normal to the plane. Can you get the normal to the plane, by looking at the equation of the plane? The normal is a line perpendicular to the plane... what can you say about two planes that have the same normal or parallel normals?

GameProgrammer said:
The first two problems I have no idea how to start, but here's what I have on the 3rd
r = r + tv
v = (1-0,-1-1,6-1)
v = <1,2,5>
r1 = <0,1,1>+t<1,2,5>
r1 = <t, 2t+1, 5t+1>

v = (-1-(-4), 6-2, 2-1)
v = <3, 4, 1>
r2 = <-4, 2, 1> + t<3, 4,1>
r2 = <3t-4, 4t+2, t+1>

r1*r2 = 0

Your method is not convenient (there are always many different ways to sort out such similar problems). You only need to show (think of slope )

(1-0,-1-1,6-1) and (-1+4,6-2,1) i.e. (1,-2,5) and (3,4,1)

1*3+(-2)*4+1*5=0. This completes the question3.

For others, see learningphysics.

Thanks for the help everyone

Related to What are the equations for lines and planes in 3D?

1. What is the difference between a line and a plane?

A line is a one-dimensional figure with infinite length and no width or height. It extends infinitely in both directions. A plane is a two-dimensional figure with infinite length and width, but no height. It extends infinitely in all directions.

2. How do you find the equation of a line?

The equation of a line can be found using the slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. The slope can be calculated using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line. The y-intercept can be found by substituting the coordinates of one point into the equation and solving for b.

3. How many points are needed to define a plane?

Three non-collinear points are needed to define a unique plane. This means that the three points cannot lie on the same line.

4. What is the difference between a parallel and a perpendicular plane?

A parallel plane is a plane that does not intersect with another plane, even if extended infinitely. This means that the two planes have the same slope or are completely parallel to each other. A perpendicular plane is a plane that intersects with another plane at a right angle. This means that the two planes have slopes that are negative reciprocals of each other.

5. How do you determine if a point lies on a line or a plane?

To determine if a point lies on a line, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the line and see if the equation is satisfied. If the equation is satisfied, the point lies on the line. To determine if a point lies on a plane, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the plane and see if the equation is satisfied. If the equation is satisfied, the point lies on the plane.