What is the complex logarithm of i in rectangular form?

In summary: There's a lot of stuff on the internet and in books about this. But it's a simple plug and chug.In summary, to express i in the form z = x + iy, we can use the formula for the complex logarithm and set the principal argument of i to be pi/2. This results in z = 0 + i(pi/2). Additionally, we can express i in the general form of z = 0 + i(pi/2 + 2npi), where n is any integer.
leonmate
Express in the following form z = x + iy:

q. ln(i)

This question came up in an exam i had today.. don't think i answered it correctly though!

i went for the euler relation:

e^i*θ = cos(θ) + i*sin(θ)

next i set θ = 1 and found the natural log of the equation twice

ln(i) = ln(ln(cos(1) + i*sin(1)))

My calculator wasn't good enough to work this out without returning a math error, so i left it in that form (except i think i calculated the trig functions)

Can anyone shine some light on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
leonmate said:

q. ln(i)

This question came up in an exam i had today.. don't think i answered it correctly though!

My calculator wasn't good enough to work this out without returning a math error, so i left it in that form (except i think i calculated the trig functions)

You're using the wrong approach.

First, recognise that the complex logarithm is a multi-valued function. They might be asking you to find the principal value, or the general value. For completeness, you should state both.

Start by expressing "i" itself in exponential form. What are the magnitude and argument of i?

One thing to note is that [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=i[/itex]. What is the log of i then?
Note: Can you confirm that [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=i[/itex] and not [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=-i[/itex]?

Millennial said:
One thing to note is that [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=i[/itex]. What is the log of i then?
More generally, [itex]i= e^{i(\pi/2+ 2k\pi)}[/itex] for any integer k (thus giving what Curious3141 called the "general form").

Note: Can you confirm that [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=i[/itex] and not [itex]e^{i\pi/2}=-i[/itex]?

Actually, a helpful way of looking at logz is that it gives you the coordinates

of the point z --radius and argument . But, since, as curious said, logz is multivalued,

you need to select a branch in which to define the argument. If you choose, e.g.,

(-Pi,Pi) , your argument is the angle (starting at Pi) between the positive x-axis and

z=i.

When ln (or Log) is used, instead of log, it is understood that the principal value of the logarithm is given.
[tex]
i = e^{i \frac{\pi}{2}}
[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
More generally, [itex]i= e^{i(\pi/2+ 2k\pi)}[/itex] for any integer k (thus giving what Curious3141 called the "general form").

My statement still holds. In fact, I wanted the OP to understand that on his own.

leonmate said:

q. ln(i)

That is way wrong. Just use the formula for the complex logarithm and use [itex]\log[/itex] and not ln except when you're referring to the natural log of a real number:

[tex]\log(z)=\ln|z]+i(\theta+2n\pi)[/tex]

and where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the principal argument of z. Now, since i on the Argand diagram is located at the point (0,1), that means it's principal argument is pi/2 so there you have it and that [itex]2n\pi i[/itex] part is to account for the multivaluedness of log but if you just want the principal value, set n=0.

1. What is Ln(i) in rectangular form?

Ln(i) in rectangular form is a mathematical expression that represents the natural logarithm of the imaginary number i, which is equal to 0 + iπ/2 in polar form.

2. How do you convert Ln(i) to rectangular form?

To convert Ln(i) to rectangular form, we can use the following formula: Ln(i) = ln|r| + iθ, where r is the modulus (or absolute value) of i and θ is the principal argument (or angle) of i.

3. What is the value of Ln(i) in rectangular form?

The value of Ln(i) in rectangular form is 0 + iπ/2, which can also be written as 0 + 1.5708i in decimal form.

4. How does Ln(i) relate to the complex logarithm function?

Ln(i) is the principal value of the complex logarithm function, which is defined as the inverse of the complex exponential function. It is used to find the exponent that a base (in this case, e) must be raised to in order to obtain a given complex number (in this case, i).

5. What is the significance of Ln(i) in mathematics?

Ln(i) is an important concept in mathematics as it helps us to represent and manipulate complex numbers in a more convenient and compact way. It is also used in various applications such as solving differential equations, signal processing, and electrical engineering.