Solve Logic Circuit Troubleshooting Problem

In summary, the circuit appears to be working, but there is some oscillation. It's possible that the connection to the latch enable input is not being made, and that may be why the input does not always reflect the output of the comparator.
dfriedman
I'm struggling with a digital circuit that seems to be defying my ability to troubleshoot and would appreciate any suggestions.

I received a pcb and parts list and followed the assembly instructions; I've done lots of kits before and I inspected my solder joints pretty carefully.

The gif attached shows the circuit, which feeds a pair of logic gates that control a counter. The IC is an 8561 fast comparator; a negative pulse at the jumper input is supposed to result in the output going high, which does not happen. The input device is a photomultiplier (pmt) which detects small pulses of light. I've looked at the pmt output on a scope and it is in fact a negative voltage pulse.

Initially, the input pins are both low. When I apply a light pulse to the pmt, the input goes high. The output of the comparator (according to my logic probe) does not change. What's going on between the input and the comparator that should make the negative pulse send the comparator high?

Thanks.

Attachments

• comparator.gif
    comparator.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 560
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's a little hard to read the gif, but here are a couple of thoughts:

-- The input common mode range of that comparator only appears from the datasheet to go up to about half of the power supply voltage. It looks in your circuit like the inputs are being biased up pretty close to Vcc/2, so you could try reducing that bias down closer to just 1V or so to see if the comparator acts better.

-- Is there any chance that the connection to the Latch Enable input is not being made? If there is no pulldown attached, then the Latch Enable pin will float high, and the output of the comparator will be latched and not reflect any changes at the inputs. It looks like your kit is trying to use the LE input as a way to cut down on oscillations at the output, since they are not using explicit hysteresis feedback. If it were me, I'd lose the LE stuff, just ground the LE input, and add your own explicit hysteresis feedback as part of the bias circuit.

Hope that helps some. -Mike-

To reduce the bias, would you increase a resistor value?
There is some oscillation, visible as pulsing in my logic probe when the comparator's output (pin 7) is low. I will try grounding LE as you suggest.
Thanks,
Dan

What is a logic circuit troubleshooting problem?

A logic circuit troubleshooting problem refers to a situation where a logic circuit, which is a circuit that performs logical operations, is not functioning correctly. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as faulty components, incorrect connections, or programming errors.

How do I identify a logic circuit troubleshooting problem?

Identifying a logic circuit troubleshooting problem involves a systematic approach of checking each component in the circuit, verifying connections, and ensuring that the programming is correct. Using a logic probe or a multimeter can also help in identifying faulty components or connections.

What are the common causes of logic circuit troubleshooting problems?

The most common causes of logic circuit troubleshooting problems include faulty components, incorrect connections, programming errors, power supply issues, and interference from other electronic devices. It is important to carefully check each of these factors to identify the root cause of the problem.

How do I solve a logic circuit troubleshooting problem?

To solve a logic circuit troubleshooting problem, you can follow a step-by-step approach of checking each component, verifying connections, and reprogramming the circuit if necessary. It is also helpful to consult circuit diagrams and use troubleshooting tools such as logic probes or multimeters.

What are some tips for preventing logic circuit troubleshooting problems?

To prevent logic circuit troubleshooting problems, it is important to carefully design and plan the circuit, use quality components, follow proper wiring techniques, and regularly test and maintain the circuit. It is also helpful to carefully document the circuit design and make note of any changes or modifications made.