Logic gates (and and nand)

In summary, logic gates are electronic circuits that perform logical operations based on input signals. The two most commonly used logic gates are the AND gate, which outputs a high signal only when both of its inputs are high, and the NAND gate, which outputs a high signal unless both of its inputs are high. These gates are essential building blocks in digital electronics and are used to create more complex circuits, such as adders and flip-flops. Understanding logic gates is crucial for designing and troubleshooting digital systems.
coreylister

Homework Statement

Using only AND and NAND gates, design a circuit in which 4 switches must all be turned on before a switch in another circuit turns off.

i think half the reason i don't understand may be the wording of his question, i know the tables but i am not sure how the logic gates themself work. i am researching now, would really appreciate the help!

Homework Equations

the charts can be found on this site: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/gates.htm#summary

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello all, just after abit of guidance with a physics question i made for myself.
I have this really good idea that i thought would work but it didn't and my university professor told me i should learn more about how these logic gates work!

sorry this is my first post i editted to fix things

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Logic gates simply act out the appropriate boolean algebraic operator. You already have everything you need to know from the link you provided to layout the circuit. The next step is to figure out the logic table. A simple, but usually inefficient, way to implement a logic table is to use a gate(s) to create each possible high state and then OR all the outputs from each of these high states. For example: we want a high output when x=1 and y = 0 or when x = 1 and y = 1. Thus, for the first instance we would AND x and NOT(y). The second case we AND x and y. Then to get the final output we would OR the output from these two AND gates. A more astute observer would note that the y value is irrelevant in my example, you could simplify the output to just being x which shows how this method can be inefficient but it is the basic starting point for deriving a simple logic circuit.

1. What are logic gates?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform basic logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT. They are the building blocks of digital systems and are used to process and manipulate binary data.

2. What is an AND gate?

An AND gate is a logic gate that produces an output of 1 (or true) only if all of its inputs are 1. It follows the boolean logic of "both inputs must be true for the output to be true". Otherwise, the output is 0 (or false).

3. What is a NAND gate?

A NAND gate is a logic gate that produces an output of 0 (or false) only if all of its inputs are 1. It follows the boolean logic of "not both inputs are true for the output to be true". Otherwise, the output is 1 (or true). In other words, it is the opposite of an AND gate.

4. How are logic gates used in computers?

Logic gates are used in computers to perform calculations and make decisions based on binary data. They are used in combination to create more complex circuits, such as adders, flip-flops, and registers, which are essential for the functioning of a computer.

5. Are there other types of logic gates besides AND and NAND?

Yes, there are other types of logic gates, such as OR, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. These gates have different boolean logic and can perform different operations on binary data. They are all essential in creating complex digital circuits and systems.