Longitudal waves - sound waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct mathematical definition of a longitudinal wave and the change in wavenumber with a point source of waves. It is clarified that longitudinal means the wave number is parallel to the displacement and that the wavevector varies with position for a point source. The magnitude of the wavevector remains constant as long as the wavelength of the source is constant.
bubuta
Hi.
I am looking for correct mathematical definition of longitudal wave I am 3-D
if somebody will help me with some link or explanation it will be great.
Another thing: when I have a point source of waves i see that wavenumber changes from one point to point, is it wright?
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Longitudinal means that the wave number is parallel to the displacement.

Also, please elaborate on what you mean when you say you see the wavenumber changes from point to point with a point source.

The wavenumber is a term generally only used in 1 dimension. In general, we use a wave[/I]vector to specify, not just the wavelength of the wave, but also the direction of propagation.

Since, for a point source, the direction of propagation varies with position, the wavevector must too, vary with position. The magnitude of the wavevector however does not vary so long as the wavelength of the source remains constant.

Claude.

What are longitudinal waves?

Longitudinal waves are a type of mechanical wave that propagate in the same direction as the oscillation of particles. This means that the particles of the medium are moving back and forth in the same direction as the wave is traveling.

How are longitudinal waves different from transverse waves?

Unlike transverse waves, which have particles that move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, longitudinal waves have particles that move parallel to the direction of the wave. This results in compressions and rarefactions of the medium as the wave passes through.

What is the speed of sound in a longitudinal wave?

The speed of sound in a longitudinal wave depends on the medium through which it is traveling. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums and slower in less dense mediums. For example, sound travels faster in water than in air.

How does frequency affect longitudinal waves?

The frequency of a longitudinal wave determines the pitch of the sound. Higher frequencies result in higher pitches, while lower frequencies result in lower pitches. The human ear can detect frequencies ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz.

How are longitudinal waves used in everyday life?

Longitudinal waves are used in a variety of everyday applications, including communication through sound, medical ultrasonography, and seismic exploration. They are also used in musical instruments to produce different pitches and tones.