Longitudinally locked rotating cylinders

In summary: Teflon ring in the groove of the inner cylinder and pressing the outer cylinder on. This would create a rotating sleeve that would activate a reed switch. The arrangement would be secure if the user could not turn it easily, but it would not resist longitudinal slop or play.
KuKu427
I need to make two close fitting cylinders that are longitudinally locked in position but need to rotate against each other. I want to make this in as few parts as possible.

I was thinking of machining grooves in each cylinder and placing the Teflon ring in the groove of the inner cylinder and pressing the outer cylinder on.

How secure would this arrangement be?
Are there any other alternatives?
Is Teflon the ideal material for the ring?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would need more information on the overall limits or constraints, i.e. speeds, forces, etc... to begin to answer your question.

FredGarvin said:
I would need more information on the overall limits or constraints, i.e. speeds, forces, etc... to begin to answer your question.

The tubes are fairly small.
11.2mm ID, 12mm OD for the inner.
12.05mm ID, 13mm OD for the outer.
approximately 40mm in length for the inner, 10mm for the outer.

Force is what a person will apply to rotate the tubes with his fingers The person should be able to turn this easily, but not so easily that everyday bumps and nudges will turn it on (it's a rotating sleeve used to activate a reed switch). Longitudinal slop or play is a definite no-no.

It has to be able to resist sufficient force that the outer tube will not strip off unless someone puts some effort into it.

Sounds like your aim is to either insulate the user ("Teflon rings") or provide some ergonomic benefit by increasing the OD of the control...

In either case, how about using a 10mm length of vinyl tubing over the 10mm OD control?

tyroman said:
Sounds like your aim is to either insulate the user ("Teflon rings") or provide some ergonomic benefit by increasing the OD of the control...

In either case, how about using a 10mm length of vinyl tubing over the 10mm OD control?

No that's not what I am doing.

What are you doing? Do you have a simple sketch? What is the endgame for this device?

Thanks
Matt

1. What are longitudinally locked rotating cylinders?

Longitudinally locked rotating cylinders are a type of mechanical device that consist of two or more cylinders that are locked together and rotate in the same direction, but at different speeds.

2. What is the purpose of longitudinally locked rotating cylinders?

The purpose of longitudinally locked rotating cylinders is to transfer power or torque between two parallel shafts that are not directly connected. This allows for the transmission of power over longer distances or around obstacles.

3. How do longitudinally locked rotating cylinders work?

Longitudinally locked rotating cylinders work by using gears or other locking mechanisms to connect the cylinders and ensure they rotate at the same speed. The torque from one cylinder is transferred to the other, allowing for the transmission of power.

4. What are the advantages of using longitudinally locked rotating cylinders?

One advantage of using longitudinally locked rotating cylinders is that they can transfer power over longer distances compared to direct connections. They also allow for flexibility in design and can be used in various applications such as in machinery and vehicles.

5. Are there any limitations to using longitudinally locked rotating cylinders?

One limitation of using longitudinally locked rotating cylinders is that they can introduce some degree of backlash, which can affect the accuracy of the transmitted power. They also require proper alignment and maintenance to ensure efficient and reliable operation.