Looking for a material with high mag. permeability, but low residual mag.

In summary, magnetic permeability is a measure of a material's ability to allow magnetic fields to pass through it and is important in material selection for electromagnetic applications. Some common materials with high magnetic permeability include iron, nickel, cobalt, and various alloys. Residual magnetism is the measure of the remaining magnetic field in a material after an external field is removed, and it is important to have a low residual magnetism in materials for sensitive electronic devices and precise measurements. There are materials that possess both high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism, such as soft magnetic materials. When selecting a material with these properties, factors such as the intended application, required magnetic field strength, and operating conditions should be considered.
maxuci
Hi, I am trying to make a electromagnet to attract a ferrous material..

Currently I am using Iron and permalloy cores for my coil electromagnets, but the residual magnetism is higher than I'd like.
Is there any material with a high magnetic permeability AND low residual magnetism?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This might not help, but hot ferro magnets above their Curie temperature are paramagnetic. Otherwise it seems like the materials tend to pick up their own field...

I understand your need for a material with high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism for your electromagnet. It is important to have a strong magnetic field to attract the ferrous material, but also to minimize any leftover magnetism after the current is turned off.

One potential solution could be soft magnetic materials such as silicon steel or nickel-iron alloys. These materials have high permeability and low coercivity, meaning they are easily magnetized and demagnetized. Additionally, they have low residual magnetism, making them ideal for your application.

Another option could be using a combination of materials, such as a soft magnetic core surrounded by a high permeability shielding material. This can help reduce the residual magnetism while still providing a strong magnetic field.

I recommend conducting further research and experimentation to find the best material for your specific needs. It is also important to consider factors such as cost and availability when selecting a material. I wish you success in your project.

What is magnetic permeability and why is it important in material selection?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of a material's ability to allow magnetic fields to pass through it. It is an important factor to consider when selecting materials for applications involving electromagnetism, such as inductors and transformers. A high permeability material allows for a stronger magnetic field to be generated, while a low permeability material would impede the magnetic field.

What are some common materials with high magnetic permeability?

Some common materials with high magnetic permeability include iron, nickel, cobalt, and various alloys such as mu-metal and permalloy. These materials are often used in applications requiring strong magnetic fields, such as in power transformers and electric motors.

What is residual magnetism and why is it important to have a low residual magnetism in a material?

Residual magnetism, also known as remanence, is the measure of the magnetic field that remains in a material after an external magnetic field is removed. It is important to have a low residual magnetism in a material because it can interfere with the function of sensitive electronic devices and cause inaccuracies in measurements. Low residual magnetism is particularly important in applications such as magnetic recording media and precision instruments.

Are there any materials that have both high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism?

Yes, there are materials that possess both high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism. One example is soft magnetic materials, such as iron-silicon alloys, which are designed to have a high permeability and low residual magnetism. These materials are commonly used in applications where a strong magnetic field is required, but low residual magnetism is also important.

What factors should be considered when selecting a material with high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism?

When searching for a material with high magnetic permeability and low residual magnetism, it is important to consider factors such as the intended application, the required strength of the magnetic field, and the operating conditions of the material. Other factors to consider include cost, availability, and the desired physical properties of the material, such as its strength and durability.