Looking for Rocket Nozzle Equations

In summary, the conversation was about someone having trouble finding information on rocket science, specifically equations for rocket chamber and nozzle design. They were looking for equations that relate to parabolic nozzle, divergent section, initial and final wall angles to expansion ratio for various % bell nozzles. They were directed to a Wikipedia page on De Laval nozzle, but were still looking for more specific information and equations related to a graph they had seen.
treddie
Howdie.

This may not be the forum for this, but I am having trouble finding a forum on rocket science.

Specifically, it is easy to find various equations for rocket chamber and nozzle design, but they all leave out the crucial equations that relate parabolic nozzle, divergent section, inital & final wall angles to expansion ratio for various % bell nozzles. I have seen graphs of this, but no discussion of the underlying equations.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,
treddie

Physics news on Phys.org
jmatejka,

Thank you for your response.:smile:

I've actually visited that page before, but what I am looking for is very specific and difficult to find information on. Here is an image of the graph I am trying to find the underlying equations for:

InitialFinalParabolaWallAnglesforDi.gif

This graph relates to the following nozzle geometry:

NozzleGeometry.gif

Related to Looking for Rocket Nozzle Equations

1. What are rocket nozzle equations used for?

Rocket nozzle equations are used to calculate the performance and efficiency of rocket engines. They help engineers design and optimize rocket nozzles for different types of rockets.

2. How do rocket nozzle equations work?

Rocket nozzle equations use principles of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics to determine the flow of gases through the nozzle. They take into account factors like nozzle geometry, ambient pressure, and propellant properties.

3. Are there different types of rocket nozzle equations?

Yes, there are different types of rocket nozzle equations depending on the type of nozzle, such as converging, diverging, or bell-shaped. Each type has its own set of equations that are used for specific applications.

4. Can rocket nozzle equations be used for all types of rocket engines?

No, rocket nozzle equations are specifically designed for rocket engines that use liquid or hybrid propellants. They cannot be directly applied to solid rocket motors, which have a different combustion process.

5. Where can I find rocket nozzle equations?

Rocket nozzle equations can be found in textbooks, research papers, and online resources. They may also be provided by rocket engine manufacturers or space agencies. However, understanding and correctly applying these equations requires a strong background in mathematics and engineering.