1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz equation?

1. Feb 12, 2004 #1
    The motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field can be obtained from the Lorentz equation for the force on a particle in such a field. If the electric field vector is E and the magnetic field vector is B, the force on a particle of mass m that carries a charge q and has a velocity v is given by
    F=qE+qv X B
    (The X is the cross product.)
    If there is no electric field and if the particle enters the magnetic field in a direction perpendicular to the lines of magnetic flux, show that the trajectory is a circle with radius
    where omega=qB/m, which is the cyclotron frequency.

Okay, if there's no electric field, then I drop the qE term, meaning F=qv X B. I set this equal to F=ma.
    qv X B = ma
    I think I should make a=dv/dt, and solve for v, then take the derivative to get the trajectory. But the cross product is really confusing me, and I don't really know how to simplify from there. Am I going in the right direction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After you take the cross product, note that the force is perpendicular to the velocity. What kind of motion does that give rise to?

(Hint: consider a ball on a string, being swung around parallel to the ground--you have the same type of situation).

4. Feb 12, 2004 #3
    If the velocity and force are perpendicular, it's centripetal motion. But I don't really know what to do with that. I know velocity is the cross product of the radius and omega (d.theta/dt). Because I'm trying to find the radius, I can't use this, I think?

Otherwise, when I try to do the math, I get a natural log, which I know I shouldn't be getting.

qvxB=qvB*sin 90=qvB
    (qB/m)t=ln v

I'm not using the fact that it's centripetal motion, but I don't really know how to tie this in.
  5. Feb 12, 2004 #4

Homework Helper

Did you mean "antiderivative?"
  6. Feb 12, 2004 #5
    Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. And that's what I'm trying to do, I wasn't typing carefully. I have to integrate v to get r.
  7. Feb 13, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    If the qE component is zero, you still have
    circuilar motion due to the magnetic field.
    I can't tell you how to solve for polar coordinates
    but for cartesian coordinates all you need to do
    is write the equations for two axes, and you get:
    ( qB/m ) Vy = ax
    -( qB/m ) Vx = ay (the second minor is negative)
    Then you use the derivative of either equation and
    put the result in the other.
    The solutions, depending on the enitial conditions
    at t=0 (giving you the enitial angle = q and x0 and y0)are:
    x = x0 + Rx sin(wt+q)
    y = y0 + Ry cos(wt+q)

Live long and prosper.
  8. Feb 13, 2004 #7
    Doesn't the fact centripetal acceleration = v^2/r make this exercise a whole lot easier?:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?