Solve Lorentz Eq for Charged Particle Motion in EM Field

In summary, the motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field can be obtained from the Lorentz equation for the force on a particle in such a field. If the electric field vector is E and the magnetic field vector is B, the force on a particle of mass m that carries a charge q and has a velocity v is given by
mindcircus
The motion of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field can be obtained from the Lorentz equation for the force on a particle in such a field. If the electric field vector is E and the magnetic field vector is B, the force on a particle of mass m that carries a charge q and has a velocity v is given by
F=qE+qv X B
(The X is the cross product.)
If there is no electric field and if the particle enters the magnetic field in a direction perpendicular to the lines of magnetic flux, show that the trajectory is a circle with radius
r=(mv)/(qB)=v/(omega)
where omega=qB/m, which is the cyclotron frequency.

Okay, if there's no electric field, then I drop the qE term, meaning F=qv X B. I set this equal to F=ma.
qv X B = ma
I think I should make a=dv/dt, and solve for v, then take the derivative to get the trajectory. But the cross product is really confusing me, and I don't really know how to simplify from there. Am I going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mindcircus
But the cross product is really confusing me, and I don't really know how to simplify from there.

After you take the cross product, note that the force is perpendicular to the velocity. What kind of motion does that give rise to?

(Hint: consider a ball on a string, being swung around parallel to the ground--you have the same type of situation).

Am I going in the right direction?

Yes.

If the velocity and force are perpendicular, it's centripetal motion. But I don't really know what to do with that. I know velocity is the cross product of the radius and omega (d.theta/dt). Because I'm trying to find the radius, I can't use this, I think?

Otherwise, when I try to do the math, I get a natural log, which I know I shouldn't be getting.

qvxB=qvB*sin 90=qvB
F=ma=qvB
m(dv/dt)=qvB
(qB/m)*dt=dv/v
Integrate.
(qB/m)t=ln v

I'm not using the fact that it's centripetal motion, but I don't really know how to tie this in.

I think I should make a=dv/dt, and solve for v, then take the derivative to get the trajectory.
Did you mean "antiderivative?"

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. And that's what I'm trying to do, I wasn't typing carefully. I have to integrate v to get r.

Greetings !
If the velocity and force are perpendicular, it's centripetal motion. But I don't really know what to do with that.
If the qE component is zero, you still have
circuilar motion due to the magnetic field.
I can't tell you how to solve for polar coordinates
but for cartesian coordinates all you need to do
is write the equations for two axes, and you get:
( qB/m ) Vy = ax
-( qB/m ) Vx = ay (the second minor is negative)
Then you use the derivative of either equation and
put the result in the other.
The solutions, depending on the enitial conditions
at t=0 (giving you the enitial angle = q and x0 and y0)are:
x = x0 + Rx sin(wt+q)
y = y0 + Ry cos(wt+q)

Live long and prosper.

Doesn't the fact centripetal acceleration = v^2/r make this exercise a whole lot easier?:smile:

What is the Lorentz Equation for Charged Particle Motion in an Electromagnetic Field?

The Lorentz Equation for Charged Particle Motion in an Electromagnetic Field is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a charged particle in the presence of an electric and magnetic field. It takes into account the force exerted on the particle by the fields and the particle's velocity and mass.

How is the Lorentz Equation derived?

The Lorentz Equation is derived from the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle in an electromagnetic field is equal to the product of the particle's charge, its velocity, and the strength of the field. By applying this law to the electric and magnetic fields separately, and taking into account the relativistic effects of the particle's velocity, the Lorentz Equation can be derived.

What is the significance of the Lorentz Equation?

The Lorentz Equation is a fundamental equation in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various physical systems. It is used in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and plasma physics to model and predict the motion of charged particles in complex electromagnetic environments.

What are the key variables in the Lorentz Equation?

The key variables in the Lorentz Equation are the charge of the particle (q), its velocity (v), the electric field (E), and the magnetic field (B). The mass of the particle (m) and the speed of light (c) are also important factors in the equation.

Can the Lorentz Equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the Lorentz Equation can be solved analytically for simple cases where the electric and magnetic fields are constant and the particle's velocity is non-relativistic. However, for more complex cases, numerical methods are often used to solve the equation and obtain a numerical solution.