Lorentz force in superconductors

In summary: And it is kind of fuzzy, since it is determined by where a small amount of flux penetrates.I'm not sure what you are asking about the B field. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Lorentz force in type I superconductors and its connection to pinning of magnetic flux. There is also a discussion about the definition of critical current density and how it relates to the maximum current a superconductor can carry before transitioning back to normal conduction. The conversation also delves into the effects of flux pinning in type I superconductors and some confusion about the treatment of this phenomenon in relation to type II superconductors. In conclusion, the conversation provides insight into the complexities of studying superconducting
Tiresome2
Hi, everyone.

In a course on superconducting materials, my lecturer has suggested that in a Type I(one) superconductor, any normalconducting region containing trapped magnetic flux will feel a Lorentz force per unit volume [tex]F_L = J \times B[/tex], where [tex]J[/tex] is the transport current density (vector!) that the material is carrying, and [tex]B[/tex] is a vaguely-defined magnetic flux density.

He goes on to define the "critical current density" [tex]J_c[/tex] by the equality [tex]J_c \times B = -F_p[/tex] where [tex]F_p[/tex] is a force per unit volume due to pinning of the flux lines on some kind of material defect.

My problems with this are:
  • Concept - how can a non-charged body feel a Lorentz force? (This is probably solved by thinking about a supercurrent that surrounds the flux-containing region...)
  • What is [tex]B[/tex], given that the Meissner effect excludes magnetic fields in superconducting regions? Could is be the externally-applied field, measured at a distance? Or the (higher) flux density inside the flux-containin region of the material?
  • How can I reconcile my lecturer's definition of [tex]J_c[/tex] with the more generally-available definition: "the maximum current a superconductor can carry before making a transition back to normal conduction"?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm very stuck on this concept and I can't find any online resources which mention this particular phenomenon - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiresome2 said:
Hi, everyone.

In a course on superconducting materials, my lecturer has suggested that in a Type I(one) superconductor, any normalconducting region containing trapped magnetic flux will feel a Lorentz force per unit volume [tex]F_L = J \times B[/tex], where [tex]J[/tex] is the transport current density (vector!) that the material is carrying, and [tex]B[/tex] is a vaguely-defined magnetic flux density.

This is the way it is defined in type II superconductors. I've never seen it discussed this way in terms of type I, but I'll take your word for it. I'll be talking about things from the perspective of type IIs in the abrikosov state.

B here means either a single quantum of magnetic flux or in the case of a flux bundle, some multiple of it.

Tiresome2 said:
My problems with this are:
  • Concept - how can a non-charged body feel a Lorentz force? (This is probably solved by thinking about a supercurrent that surrounds the flux-containing region...)

• That's one way of thinking about it. It's probably the more rigorously correct way. The other is to think about it in terms of equal and opposite forces... a moving charge feels a force due to it's interaction with a nearby field, therefore...

Tiresome2 said:
    [*] What is [tex]B[/tex], given that the Meissner effect excludes magnetic fields in superconducting regions? Could is be the externally-applied field, measured at a distance? Or the (higher) flux density inside the flux-containin region of the material?

This is where I start to wonder about the effect in type Is. Are you sure he was talking about type I SCs? There is a mixed state, comprised of laminar regions in type I SCs, but I've never seen a treatment on flux pinning in this state before.

Tiresome2 said:
    [*] How can I reconcile my lecturer's definition of [tex]J_c[/tex] with the more generally-available definition: "the maximum current a superconductor can carry before making a transition back to normal conduction"?
Tiresome2 said:
In type IIs, they are roughly equivalent. The pinning forces dictate the flux gradient which in turn controls the flux motion. Once the fluxoids start to move, they start to dissipate energy, which removes the "lossless' current flow concept.

Hi seycyrus; thanks for your reply.

seycyrus said:
This is the way it is defined in type II superconductors. I've never seen it discussed this way in terms of type I, but I'll take your word for it. I'll be talking about things from the perspective of type IIs in the abrikosov state.

This is where I start to wonder about the effect in type Is. Are you sure he was talking about type I SCs? There is a mixed state, comprised of laminar regions in type I SCs, but I've never seen a treatment on flux pinning in this state before.

This treatment really is about Type I, in the laminar "intermediate" state. Of course, the same effects can be observed in Type II superconductors, where the normal regions are usually single quanta of flux. It seems my lecturer has made an unusual choice, discussing these effects before even introducing Type II.

B here means either a single quantum of magnetic flux or in the case of a flux bundle, some multiple of it.

B is a flux density (= flux per unit area), so it is a continuously varying vector field. I guess my question is: If these "Lorentz force effects" are due to forces on the net supercurrents (transport + fluxon circulation) in the area, then what B-field do the charge carriers actually see locally?

This is the problem of the "nearby field", I suppose - classically, moving charges don't respond to nearby fields, only ones that are right on top of them. However, my handy "anatomy of a fluxon" diagram tells me that (at least when there is no transport current), the fluxon's "paramagnetic supercurrents" are in regions of non-zero B. So I can start to see how this all works!

In type IIs, the (definitions of J_c) are roughly equivalent. The pinning forces dictate the flux gradient which in turn controls the flux motion. Once the fluxoids start to move, they start to dissipate energy, which removes the "lossless' current flow concept.

Again, I'm beginning to see how this works - certainly to the detail level I'm required to. Many thanks =)

Tiresome,

I agree that your instructor's approach is a bit unusual. Is he using a text, if so which one?

Has he shown you any magnetization data of a type I (either theoretical or experimental), that includes the effects of this mixed state?

Most texts that I have seen, simply have a single critical field for type Is.

1. What is the Lorentz force in superconductors?

The Lorentz force in superconductors refers to the force experienced by a superconducting material when placed in a magnetic field. It is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the free-moving electrons in the material.

2. How does the Lorentz force affect superconductivity?

The Lorentz force can disrupt the formation of superconducting electron pairs and cause them to move in different directions, leading to a decrease in superconductivity. However, at very low temperatures, the Lorentz force can also help to maintain the stability of superconducting states.

3. Can the Lorentz force be used to levitate objects?

Yes, the Lorentz force can be used to levitate superconducting materials above a magnet due to the repulsion between the magnetic fields of the two objects. This is known as the Meissner effect and is a well-known phenomenon in superconductivity.

4. How is the Lorentz force related to the critical magnetic field in superconductors?

The Lorentz force increases as the magnetic field increases, and at a certain point, known as the critical magnetic field, it becomes too strong for the superconducting material to maintain its superconducting state. This critical magnetic field is an important factor in determining the limits of superconductivity in a material.

5. Can the Lorentz force be controlled in superconductors?

Yes, researchers are exploring ways to manipulate the Lorentz force in superconductors to improve their performance and potentially create new applications. Some methods include using different types of superconducting materials, changing the temperature or pressure of the material, or applying external forces to counteract the Lorentz force.