Low torque homemade lathe-type machine

In summary: MattIn summary, Matt is looking for a motor with a chuck that has a torque of 2.5kgcm and a variable speed of 60-180rpm. He also wants a foot pedal and a clutch. He suggests looking for lathes online and considering the length and swing of the stock, as well as the type of motor and controller needed. He recommends doing thorough research before making any purchases.
mtranter
Hi

I am trying to find a motor that you could attach a chuck to and have somewhere around 2.5kgcm torque, with a speed variable between 60rpm and 180rpm, controllable with a foot pedal (smilar to a sewing machine pedal). Ideally there would be a clutch in there as well. Is there anything out there that might fit the bill?

Thanks,
Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you ultimately end up obtaining will depend greatly on the specs that you set, other than the general drive motor and controller idea. I believe that you can find many lathes on the Internet that will provide the essential specs that you desire. What length of stock are planning for? What swing are you wanting to deal with? How will you maintain the stock feed? Once you have all of your requirements defined, and can purchase the motor (AC single/three phase, DC, etc.). You will then need to configure an appropriate support (height and swing) for the motor and stock feed apparatus, align them, and attach the chuck to the motor. You can always add one of several controller types that you might want. I am assuming that you know what you are doing and that you are on some sort of limited budget. Otherwise, I would recommend purchasing a unit that meets or exceeds your specifications (based upon your requirements).

Above all, research your available components and building supplies before you purchase them.

I hope this helps,

FAQ: Low torque homemade lathe-type machine

1. What is a "low torque homemade lathe-type machine"?

A "low torque homemade lathe-type machine" is a type of lathe that is built by an individual rather than purchased from a manufacturer. It typically has a smaller motor and lower torque compared to commercial lathes.

2. How is a low torque homemade lathe different from a commercially available lathe?

A low torque homemade lathe is typically smaller and has a lower torque, meaning it may not be able to handle as heavy or dense materials as a commercial lathe. It may also lack some features and precision of a commercial lathe.

3. What materials can be used to build a low torque homemade lathe-type machine?

A variety of materials can be used, depending on the individual's skills and resources. Common materials include wood, metal, and plastic.

4. Is a low torque homemade lathe-type machine suitable for professional use?

It depends on the individual's skills and the quality of the machine. Some homemade lathes can produce high-quality results, while others may not be as reliable or precise. It is important to thoroughly test and maintain the machine before using it for professional purposes.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a low torque homemade lathe-type machine?

Yes, as with any power tool, there are safety concerns when using a homemade lathe. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring the machine is properly grounded. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the machine to prevent any accidents.

Back