Exploring M87's Jet: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter RJ Emery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet
In summary, the speaker has several questions about M87's jet, including how its speed was measured to be faster than light, if there is an opposite jet, what we would see if the jet was pointed directly at us, and how data on the jet would differ if it was viewed head on. The speaker also mentions that the superluminal effect observed in the jet is attributed to visual effects, and that the measurement was most likely made through VLBI radio astronomy observations. They also suggest that the jet could potentially be visible to the naked eye if pointed directly at us.
RJ Emery
I have several questions concerning M87's jet:

1. From observations by the HST of the jet, its speed was determined to be several times faster than that of light. The superluminal effect has been attributed to visual effects, a conclusion I do not dispute. However, I do not understand how the measurement was made and what visual effects would give rise to a FTL result. Anyone have any insights?

2. Has there been an opposite jet detected?

3. If M87's jet were pointed directly towards us, what would we likely see (across the spectrum from gamma to radio)?

4. We have some measurements and knowledge of the galaxy with its jet pointed away from us. How might that data set be different with a head on view?

Space news on Phys.org
RJ Emery said:
I have several questions concerning M87's jet:

1. From observations by the HST of the jet, its speed was determined to be several times faster than that of light. The superluminal effect has been attributed to visual effects, a conclusion I do not dispute. However, I do not understand how the measurement was made and what visual effects would give rise to a FTL result. Anyone have any insights?
IIRC, the measurement was not made by the HST, but by one or more VLBI radio astronomy observations. 'Bright spots' (aka 'knots') in the jet were observed to have different positions on the sky, at different times. Geometry, plus a distance to M87, gives the apparent speed of these knots.

I don't recall the particular mechanism used to explain the supraluminal speed, for the M87 jet, but it's an illusion, much like the apparent speed of a lighthouse beam on a (very) distant screen, or the point where a giant pair of scissors closes - you have to separate what's actually moving from what seems to be moving.
2. Has there been an opposite jet detected?
IIRC, yes. However, a quick search failed to find any relevant papers, so I may be mis-remembering (or simply didn't search long enough).
3. If M87's jet were pointed directly towards us, what would we likely see (across the spectrum from gamma to radio)?
Pretty much the same as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazar" . I don't know how bright it would be - could even be unaided eye visible! - but it would certainly be spectacular. One thing that would be exciting would be the TeV gammas and UHECRs that we'd likely see coming from it.
4. We have some measurements and knowledge of the galaxy with its jet pointed away from us. How might that data set be different with a head on view?
As above.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is M87's jet?

M87's jet is a high-energy stream of particles that is emitted from the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy M87.

How was M87's jet discovered?

M87's jet was first observed and studied using radio telescopes in the 1950s. Since then, it has been observed in various wavelengths of light, including X-ray and gamma-ray, providing more insight into its properties.

What causes M87's jet to form?

The exact mechanism behind the formation of M87's jet is still being studied, but it is believed to be caused by the intense magnetic fields and gravitational pull of the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

What makes M87's jet interesting to scientists?

M87's jet is one of the largest and most powerful jets known, extending for over 5,000 light-years from the black hole. Studying the jet can provide valuable information about the processes happening near the black hole and help us better understand the nature of these extreme objects.

How can we explore M87's jet?

M87's jet can be explored using a variety of telescopes and instruments that can observe different wavelengths of light. Scientists also use computer simulations to model and understand the physical processes happening in the jet.