Magnesium salt of EDTA is the same as EDTA-2NaMg?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Baho Ilok
Messages
45
Reaction score
5
I was reading through the standard complexiometric method of determining hardness in water, and the procedure mentioned the use of the magnesium salt of EDTA. I looked up online to purchase this reagent but all I could find was disodium magnesium salt of EDTA. Are they one and the same? Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
For this purpose they are equivalent.

Not that this particular salt is really required, just EDTA (or disodium salt) can be used as well. Magnesium salt makes detection of the endpoint against the Eriochrome Black T easier.
 
Borek said:
For this purpose they are equivalent.

Not that this particular salt is really required, just EDTA (or disodium salt) can be used as well. Magnesium salt makes detection of the endpoint against the Eriochrome Black T easier.
Beautiful! Thank you for this!