Magnetic Fields - Extending Concepts

In summary, a proton moving through a magnetic field of intensity 0.20 T has a velocity of 4.4x10^-15 J.
krwilliams
Hi, I have 2 extremely hard questions. Any help would be appreciated so much! :)

1. Starting from a speed of 0 m/s, a proton is accelerated through a potential difference of 32000 V. What is the proton's velocity?

2. Is there a formula that I should use to solve for this problem?

3. Initial Velocity = 0 m/s? What is potential difference?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The energy of a proton moving through a magnetic field of intensity 0.20 T is 4.4x10^-15 J. What is the radius of the proton's path if it moves in a direction that is always perpendicular to the field?

2. I think that I have to use Bqv = (mv^2)/r to solve for r?

3. B = 0.20 T. I don't know what the 4.4x10^-15 J designates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please! I need help!

Please I need this soon!

Since you did not post an attempt, I will give you an idea to think about. Think about energy and/or the law of conservation of energy.

i'm sorry that i didn't post an attempt, but i have no idea where to start with attempting this. my teacher is dumb! she gave us the chapter test, and didn't tell us anything else. we're supposed to teach ourselves the whole chapter?! i got all of them except for these 2. it's so tedius and i don't understand what the law of conservation of energy will do to help me solve this?

Here is some more hints:

Potential difference = voltage, and the definition of voltage is...?

for the second problem, it looks right to me, but you're missing velocity and you have energy...so which equation uses both?

i still don't understand what you are trying to get me to understand about potential differnce or voltage or anything. It's nowhere in the chapter.

And for the second one, would it be B=F/IL, becuase that's the only other equation i know. :( I hate this. Why don't I get it, can you please just tel me so I can learn instead of making me try to figure it out when I don't have anything to figure it out with or no understanding to understand your "hints?"

krwilliams said:
i still don't understand what you are trying to get me to understand about potential differnce or voltage or anything. It's nowhere in the chapter.

And for the second one, would it be B=F/IL, becuase that's the only other equation i know. :( I hate this. Why don't I get it, can you please just tel me so I can learn instead of making me try to figure it out when I don't have anything to figure it out with or no understanding to understand your "hints?"

Do you know the charge of a proton? Given charge and potential difference can you find energy?

krwilliams said:
Why don't I get it, can you please just tel me so I can learn instead of making me try to figure it out when I don't have anything to figure it out with or no understanding to understand your "hints?"
Actually if someone just told you, you wouldn't learn ;-) I know it may not seem that way, but being given vague hints and going through the process of figuring out the problem on your own is by far the best (some would say the only) way to really learn the material. And yes, it does involve a lot of banging your head against the wall (hopefully only figuratively though).

From some of the questions you've been asking, I wonder whether you even know what basic concepts like voltage and energy are. If you don't, tell us! It does nobody any good for you to be getting hints that are above your level.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of influence created by a magnet, electric current, or changing electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electrical charges. This can be in the form of a permanent magnet, an electric current, or changing electric fields.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

While both magnetic and electric fields are created by moving electrical charges, they have different effects. Electric fields act on charged particles, while magnetic fields act on moving charges. Additionally, electric fields have both magnitude and direction, while magnetic fields only have direction.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. They are used in motors, generators, MRI machines, credit card readers, and various electronic devices. They are also used in compasses for navigation and in the Earth's magnetic field for protecting us from harmful solar radiation.

5. Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be partially or completely shielded or blocked by certain materials. This is commonly seen in the use of iron or steel in construction to shield against magnetic fields, such as in MRI rooms. However, it is difficult to completely shield against magnetic fields as they can penetrate through most materials.