Understanding Magnetic Fields: Explaining Magnetic Flux and Flux Density

In summary, Dan is having trouble understanding concepts of a magnetic field, magnetic flux, and magnetic flux density. He is wondering if somebody can help clear up this misunderstanding. Kenny also provides a helpful perspective on the use of field lines in understanding magnetic fields.
danago
Gold Member
Hi. I am having a little trouble grasping the concept of a magnetic field. My book doesn't explain it very well.

I understand that any magnet has a magnetic field, which is the space around it in which other magnets are subject to a force due to the magnet.

What I am having trouble with is concepts of magnetic flux and magnetic flux density. From what I've read, magnetic flux density is a number of field lines per unit area (where the field lines are perpendicular to the area). What I am not understanding is how a number can be assigned for the number of field lines passing through an area. I thought the idea of field lines were invoked for the simplicity in graphically representing magnetic fields. I would have though that in an actual magnetic field, the number of actual field lines would be infinite for any given area.

Is somebody able to clear up this misconception?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dan,

You're right. The concept of field lines and flux density is all really abstract. Its not meant to be literal when they say flux density B is the number of field lines per unit area. (Since you don't really measure field lines in numbers; its measured with units tesla). Its just so that when we're looking at a diagram, we can say that a particular spot has greater B when the density of lines is greater. Sort of like the closer the lines are together, the stronger the field.

Does that help?

Of course you are correct that field lines are just a way of graphically representing the field. That is also true of magnetic flux and magnetic flux density. The concept of counting lines passing through an area is just a way of graphically representing these concepts to make them easier to grasp.

I think you also have to remember how field lines are used. So when the magnetic field is strong field lines appear closer together and thus the magnetic flux through a unit area for example will have more field lines passing through it than the flux through an area in a weaker field.

EDIT: Kenny beat me but hopefully two points of view might help.

That helps alot, thanks guys :smile:

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be visualized as invisible lines of force that extend from one pole of a magnet to the other.

2. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area perpendicular to the field.

3. How is magnetic flux related to magnetic field strength?

The amount of magnetic flux passing through a given area is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the field increases, so does the amount of magnetic flux passing through the area.

4. What is flux density?

Flux density, also known as magnetic induction, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is calculated by dividing the amount of magnetic flux passing through an area by the area itself.

5. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect flux and flux density?

The direction of a magnetic field can affect the amount of flux and flux density. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the area, the flux and flux density will be at their maximum. However, if the magnetic field is parallel to the area, the flux and flux density will be at their minimum.