Magnetic Flux through 1 loop due to current on the other

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic flux of a left loop due to the current in a right loop. The formula for magnetic flux is given and it is determined that the question may be asking for the magnetic force instead. The steps to find the total flux through the second loop are also outlined, which involves finding the function for the magnetic field caused by the first loop and integrating it over the area of the second loop. It is mentioned that this may be a difficult problem and may require special functions.
lion_
The scenario is the following, I am given 2 loops with the same radius, r, a distance of d, and same current of I. In the left loop the current goes counter clockwise, in the right loop the current is clockwise. The two loops centers lie on the same axis which are perpendicular to the plane of the loops. I am asked to find the magnetic flux of the left loop due to the current on the right loop.

I know that the magnetic flux of a loop is $$\phi=B\pi r^2$$ where $$B=\dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2R}$$ So how exactly do I find the Total magnetic flux on the loop due to the magnetic flux on the other? Since the current is opposite I will be subtracting the 2 fluxes.

So $$\phi_{self}=\phi_L-\phi_R$$ which is $$ \dfrac{\mu_0I}{2r} \pi d^2 - \dfrac{\mu_0I}{2r}\pi d^2=0$$ I don't think this makes much sense to me...

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it does not make sense to ask for the magnetic flux ON something. You can have magnetic flux THROUGH something, but not ON it. Make sure you're not supposed to be calculating the magnetic force on the loop.

Second, since you only care about the flux through the second loop due to the current in the first, you do not need to worry about the magnetic field generated by the second loop. It is out of the scope of the question. However, you will need to know the magnetic field at all points within the second loop caused by the first. As such, you need to:

1. Find the function for the magnetic field caused by the first loop at all points in space.
2. Integrate this over the area of the second loop.

This will give you the total flux through the second loop, caused by the current in the first loop.

$$B=\dfrac{\mu_0}{2\pi} \cdot \dfrac{\mu}{l^3}$$

Is this the function you are talking about? Just substiute the numbers and that is it?

I agree that this seems like a magnetic force type of question.

The magnetic dipole ##\vec{\mu}## of the right loop indicates a net flux ##\Phi_B## through the left loop. You know the flux through the loop is given by:

##\Phi_B = \int \vec B \cdot d \vec A##

Where it's safe to assume the field is uniform if the distance ##d## is small. Otherwise that function you posted should help.

Last edited:
No more posts for nearly 2 days? Then I wll hazard the opinion that this is an extremely difficult problem, requiring special functions like Bessel functions and elliptical integrals.

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

How is magnetic flux calculated for 1 loop?

The magnetic flux through 1 loop due to a current on the other can be calculated using the equation Φ = BAcosθ, where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

What factors affect the magnetic flux through 1 loop due to current on the other?

The magnetic flux through 1 loop can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop. It can also be affected by the number of turns in the loop and the strength of the current flowing through the other loop.

How does changing the current affect the magnetic flux through 1 loop?

According to Faraday's law of induction, when the current through one loop changes, it will induce a changing magnetic field in the other loop. This changing magnetic field will then cause a change in the magnetic flux through the loop.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux and induced voltage?

The induced voltage in a loop is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This relationship is described by Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.