1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux through a solenoid

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    ok, the magnetic field through a single ring is n[tex]\mu[/tex]I ,
    so the flux is BAcos(theta), with cos(theta)=1, flux = BA = piR2n[tex]\mu[/tex]I

so why for the entire solenoid flux, it is now nL*the flux above? where L = length of solenoid

shouldn't multiplying it with just n = number of rings be suffice?

also, i don't really understand the magnetic flux. is it define to be the number of field lines per unit area? it is something like density right? so shouldn't it be flux = B/A ? i am getting confused :X

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    Those formulas look pretty wrong. The flux should decrease with the length of the coil. And your first formula contains a number n that is not even defined for a single loop (or simply n=1)

Maybe this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    yup, for a single coil , n = 1.

but i don't understand why for the entire solenoid, we use n*L*dflux/dt = induced EMF

shouldn't just multiplying with n be enough? because n = number of turns. and dflux/dt is for 1 turn. so the entire solenoid just needs to be multiplied by n turns. why do we multiply another length L factor? it is taken from masterphysics.com

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
  6. Mar 31, 2010 #5
    oh i realise where it all went wrong. after reading the question again for the 3000 time, i realise that n was the number of turns per unit length. so to get N, number of turns, we have to multiply n with L. -.-

sorry for the commotion

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook