How Can the Lorentz Force Be Used to Solve the Magnetic Mirror Problem?

In summary, the conversation discussed using the invariants $\mu$ and $J$ to find the solution for the velocity components $v_{perp}$ and $v_z$. The speaker mentioned using the Lorentz force to find $v_z$ and then integrating to find the position and velocity. The expert also confirmed that the approach suggested by the speaker is correct and offered to clarify any further doubts.
Rafimah
Homework Statement
Hello!

I am currently working on the following problem:

A charged particle with a perpendicular velocity $ v_{perp,0} at z = 0 moves along the axis of a magnetic mirror with a magnetic field strength given by $ B = B_0 (1+\alpha(t)^2 z^2) where $\alpha$ is a function of time.

a) What are the two adiabatic invariants for the electron in the mirror?

b) What is the equation of motion in the z direction?

c) If $\alpha$ is constant in time, what are the solutions for z(t) and $v_z(t)$ if $v_z = v_{z,0} $ at z = 0 ?

d) Assuming $\alpha$ changes slowly in time, then what is an expression for the amplitude of the oscillation in z and of the velocity of the particle when it passes through z = 0 as a function of $\alpha$, $B_0$ and of $v_{z,0} ?
Relevant Equations
Lorentz equation, mu and J adiabatic invariants (given in a)
a) I know the invariants are $\mu = \frac{0.5*m*v_{perp}^2{B} $ and $J = v_{parallel} x

b) I used the invariance of $\mu$ to get the following equation:

$$ v_{perp}^2 = v_{perp,0}^2(1+\alpha(t)^2 z^2) $$

I am thinking of using the Lorentz force to get $v_z$, but I'm not so clear on how to go about that.

Once I have $v_z$ properly, I believe I know how to do the rest. Just change it to \frac{dz}{dt} and integrate to get z(t), and take the derivative to get v(t).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the invariants and your approach to finding the solution. Using the invariance of $\mu$ is a good starting point and it seems like you have a good understanding of how to use it to find the equation for $v_{perp}$.

As for using the Lorentz force to find $v_z$, you are correct in thinking that it can be used to find the velocity in the z-direction. The Lorentz force is given by $F = q(v \times B)$, where $q$ is the charge of the particle, $v$ is the velocity and $B$ is the magnetic field. Since we know the invariants, we can use them to find the velocity components and then use the Lorentz force to find $v_z$.

Once you have $v_z$, you can follow the rest of your approach to find the solution. It seems like you have a good understanding of how to solve this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

1. What is the "Magnetic Mirror Problem"?

The "Magnetic Mirror Problem" is a theoretical physics problem that explores the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It involves a particle moving towards a magnetic mirror, which is a region of high magnetic field strength, and how the particle's trajectory is affected.

2. What are the main factors that influence the "Magnetic Mirror Problem"?

The main factors that influence the "Magnetic Mirror Problem" are the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the initial velocity of the particle, and the mass and charge of the particle.

3. How does the "Magnetic Mirror Problem" relate to real-world applications?

The "Magnetic Mirror Problem" has applications in fields such as plasma physics, nuclear fusion, and space exploration. Understanding the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field is essential in these areas.

4. What are some solutions or approaches to the "Magnetic Mirror Problem"?

Some solutions or approaches to the "Magnetic Mirror Problem" include using mathematical equations and simulations to predict the particle's trajectory, as well as experimental studies using particle accelerators and magnetic mirrors.

5. What are the limitations of the "Magnetic Mirror Problem"?

The "Magnetic Mirror Problem" is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as particle-particle interactions, non-uniform magnetic fields, and relativistic effects. Additionally, it assumes a perfectly reflective magnetic mirror, which may not be realistic in practical applications.