Magnetic Moment- Spin System - Probability

In summary, a spin-system with N=30 localized particles, each with spin quantum number s=1/2 and magnetic moment µ0, has a vertical magnetic moment M in units of µ0. The problem is to calculate the probability PN(m) for M to achieve the value m in the vertical direction, where m = M/µ0. This is done for two cases: without a magnetic field (p=q=1/2) and with a magnetic field (p=0.7, q=0.3), assuming that p and q represent the probabilities for ms=+1/2 and ms=-1/2, respectively. The formula for spin angular momentum is [h√{S*(S+1
VVS

Homework Statement

Spin-system:
A spin-system has N = 30 localized particles with spin quantum number s = ½ and magnetic moment µ0. m = M/µ0 is the magnetic moment M in vertical direction (ms = +½) in units of µ0.
Calculate the probability PN(m) for the total magnetic moment M to achieve in vertical direction the value m
a) Without magnetic field (p = q =1/2) and
b) With magnetic field (p = 0,7; q = 0,3),
under the assumption that p und q = 1-p are the probabilities for ms = +1/2 and ms = -1/2, respectively.
Draw the values for PN(m) in both cases.

Homework Equations

all given in 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment Problem_Sheet_1_Exercise_3.pdf

I just don't know how the spin is related to the magnetic moment.
Is m=1/2 or -1/2 or M=1/2 or -1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS said:

Homework Statement

Spin-system:
A spin-system has N = 30 localized particles with spin quantum number s = ½ and magnetic moment µ0. m = M/µ0 is the magnetic moment M in vertical direction (ms = +½) in units of µ0.
Calculate the probability PN(m) for the total magnetic moment M to achieve in vertical direction the value m
a) Without magnetic field (p = q =1/2) and
b) With magnetic field (p = 0,7; q = 0,3),
under the assumption that p und q = 1-p are the probabilities for ms = +1/2 and ms = -1/2, respectively.
Draw the values for PN(m) in both cases.

Homework Equations

all given in 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 56430

I just don't know how the spin is related to the magnetic moment.
Is m=1/2 or -1/2 or M=1/2 or -1/2

Hint: What is the formula for "spin angular momentum" ?
What is the formula for "magnetic moment" ?
Once you know the two, you can see the obvious relation.

Hi,

Thanks for the hint. I checked online, but I can't find any formulae for sping angular momentum and magnetic moment.

Could you please give me another hint?

thank you

VVS said:
Hi,

Thanks for the hint. I checked online, but I can't find any formulae for sping angular momentum and magnetic moment.

Could you please give me another hint?

thank you

Spin angular momentum = [h√{S*(S+1)}]/2π

Magnetic moment = √{4S*(S+1)}

Now can you carry out further ?

S is spin quantum number.

Thanks,

From those two formulae it is clear that Spin Angular Momentum = h/(4*pi)*magnetic moment.

But I am not sure how this is supposed to help me with the problem. The sentence I didn't understand was:

m = M/µ0 is the magnetic moment M in vertical direction (ms = +½) in units of µ0. Calculate the probability PN(m) for the total magnetic moment M to achieve in vertical direction the value m under the assumption that p und q = 1-p are the probabilities for ms = +1/2 and ms = -1/2, respectively.

Is M=±1/2 or M/μ0 = ±1/2?

VVS said:
Thanks,

From those two formulae it is clear that Spin Angular Momentum = h/(4*pi)*magnetic moment.

But I am not sure how this is supposed to help me with the problem. The sentence I didn't understand was:

m = M/µ0 is the magnetic moment M in vertical direction (ms = +½) in units of µ0. Calculate the probability PN(m) for the total magnetic moment M to achieve in vertical direction the value m under the assumption that p und q = 1-p are the probabilities for ms = +1/2 and ms = -1/2, respectively.

Is M=±1/2 or M/μ0 = ±1/2?

I cannot understand this:

µ0 is magnetic moment of 30 localized particles, fine. But what is m?
I guess that M being vertical component, we have µ0 sinθ=M. This means m=sinθ. What is ms? In my textbook, ms is spin quantum number, but here already its denoted by S. Might be that you should contact other HHs.

What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field generated by an electrically charged particle or a group of particles in motion. In other words, it is the ability of an object to generate a magnetic field.

What is a spin system?

A spin system is a collection of particles with intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, that interact with each other. These particles can be atoms, electrons, or nuclei, and their spins can be aligned or opposed to each other, resulting in different magnetic properties.

How is the magnetic moment of a spin system determined?

The magnetic moment of a spin system is determined by the spin of its particles and their arrangement in space. The magnitude of the magnetic moment is proportional to the strength of the spin and the number of particles in the system.

What is the role of probability in a spin system?

In a spin system, the orientation of the spins of individual particles is described by a probability distribution. This distribution determines the likelihood of finding a particle with a certain spin orientation, and is influenced by external factors such as temperature and magnetic fields.

How is a spin system used in scientific research?

Spin systems are used in many areas of scientific research, including materials science, quantum mechanics, and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging. By studying the behavior of spin systems, scientists can gain insights into the properties and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.