Magnetism and Eletrocmagnetism Hwk-Fairly easy

• Thread starter bruinboy28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, an electron with a velocity of 2.00x10^6 m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of 3.3T experiences a force of 1.06e-12 N. The acceleration of the electron can be calculated using the equation F=ma, with q=1.6x10^-19 and v=2.00x10^6, and must be negative since the charge of an electron is negative. However, some online platforms may be sensitive to significant figures, so it is important to check for errors in that aspect as well.
bruinboy28

Homework Statement

An electron has a velocity of 2.00x10^6 m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of 3.3T. What force does the electron experience?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F=qvB

q=1.6x10^-19 (the charge of an electron)
V=2.00x10^6
B=3.3

so..(1.6x10^-19)(2.00x10^6)(3.3)
=1.056e-12? it was wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
You left off the units. The answer you got is in Newtons. Did the question ask for different units perhaps?

the answer it wants is in Newtons

An electron has a velocity of 2.00 106 m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of 3.3 T. What force does the electron experience?

1.06e+-12 N
(an in the electronic hwk they said it was wrong)

What acceleration does the electron experience?
m/s2

Oh, wait, you found the force, but the acceleration must yet be calculate using F=ma!

the problem is...

the answer that i have for the Force is NOT CORRECT. without that, I can't get the force.my math is right, right? but somehow the internet keeps saying its the wrong answer. This for an electronic hwk so it tells me if the answer is wrong or right. but i only have a certain numbe of tries.

Maybe it's negative? q should be negative since the charge of an electron is negative.

ok, since i ran out of tries trying to calculate for the forces.

lets find acceleration using the electron as a negative.

what did you get?

Are you using webassign? Because it's sensitive to significant figures. If you have too many or too little they might mark you wrong. I didn't see anything wrong with your calculation besides that.

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is the force of attraction or repulsion between objects that have a magnetic field. This force is caused by the alignment and movement of tiny particles called electrons within the material.

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a metal core. The electric current creates a magnetic field, which can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using the principle of electromagnetism, which states that a magnetic field is created by the flow of electric current. When the current stops, the magnetic field disappears. This allows for control and manipulation of the magnetic field.

What are the uses of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of uses, including in motors, generators, speakers, and doorbells. They are also used in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and many other scientific and industrial applications.

How can I make an electromagnet?

To make an electromagnet, you will need a battery, a wire, and a metal core. Wrap the wire around the metal core and connect the ends of the wire to the battery. This will create a magnetic field. The more coils of wire you have and the stronger the current, the stronger the electromagnet will be.