1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism and Eletrocmagnetism Hwk-Fairly easy

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron has a velocity of 2.00x10^6 m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of 3.3T. What force does the electron experience?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

F=qvB

q=1.6x10^-19 (the charge of an electron)
    V=2.00x10^6
    B=3.3

so..(1.6x10^-19)(2.00x10^6)(3.3)
    =1.056e-12? it was wrong..

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    You left off the units. The answer you got is in newtons. Did the question ask for different units perhaps?

4. May 27, 2008 #3
    the answer it wants is in Newtons

5. May 27, 2008 #4
    An electron has a velocity of 2.00 106 m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of 3.3 T. What force does the electron experience?

1.06e+-12 N
    (an in the eletronic hwk they said it was wrong)

What acceleration does the electron experience?
    m/s2

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    Oh, wait, you found the force, but the acceleration must yet be calculate using F=ma!

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    the problem is...

the answer that i have for the Force is NOT CORRECT. without that, I can't get the force.

my math is right, right? but somehow the internet keeps saying its the wrong answer. This for an electronic hwk so it tells me if the answer is wrong or right. but i only have a certain numbe of tries.

8. May 27, 2008 #7
    Maybe it's negative? q should be negative since the charge of an electron is negative.

9. May 27, 2008 #8
    ok, since i ran out of tries trying to calculate for the forces.

lets find acceleration using the electron as a negative.

10. May 27, 2008 #9
    what did you get?

11. May 27, 2008 #10
    Are you using webassign? Because it's sensitive to significant figures. If you have too many or too little they might mark you wrong. I didn't see anything wrong with your calculation besides that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?