Magnitude and direction of the resultant force

In summary, the first conversation discussed the determination of the magnitude and direction of the resultant force exerted on a box by three boys pulling on ropes at different angles. The second conversation involved calculating the resultant velocity and momentum for a boat crossing a river with a given velocity and flow rate. The resulting values were found to be 8.5 m/s and 1623 kgm/s respectively, with the direction of momentum being the same as the velocity.
Klutch
1. Three ropes are tied to a box and three boys exert the following forces:
F1=220 N @ 90 degrees
F2=185 N @ 165 degrees
F3=235 N @280 degrees

Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

For my solution I made a Vector Componant table, found the total force on the x and y axis. Transferred that to a diagram and found the resultant force to be 142.6 N in a direction of 165.2 degrees.

2. You head across the Battle River in your boat with a velocity of 8.0 m/s, south. The river is flowing at 2.8 m/s, east.

a) Determine the magnitude and the direction of the resultant velcity vector.
b)Assume that you and you boat have a total mass of 192 kg. Calculate the direction of the momentum of you and your boat as you cross the river.

This question seemed to be really simple. I got the resultant velocity to be 8.5 m/s in a direction of 289.3 degrees. For the next part I found the momentum to be 1623 kgm/s, and wouldn't the direction be the same as the velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I didn't check it but it looks as though everything is correct. For the boat you should include the direction (i.e. 19.3 degrees east of south or whatever the angle was relative to).

Last edited:
Alright Thanks, and a little heads up for everyone here. I'll be one these forums alot, because I'm taking Physics by correspondance.

What is the definition of magnitude and direction of the resultant force?

The magnitude and direction of the resultant force refer to the overall strength and direction of a force or forces acting on an object or system. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the size and direction of a force.

How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force?

To calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. First, find the vector components of each force, then use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the magnitude of the resultant force. Finally, use trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant force.

What factors affect the magnitude and direction of the resultant force?

The magnitude and direction of the resultant force can be influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on an object, the angle between these forces, and the distribution of the forces on the object. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the overall resultant force.

How is the magnitude and direction of the resultant force represented?

The magnitude and direction of the resultant force are typically represented by an arrow or vector. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the resultant force.

What is the difference between the resultant force and net force?

The resultant force and net force are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The resultant force refers to the overall strength and direction of all the forces acting on an object, while the net force refers to the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a specific direction. In other words, the net force is a simplified version of the resultant force.