Magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum

In summary, the conversation was about finding the total acceleration of a 2 kg mass hanging from the end of a 1 meter string fixed at its other end. The mass was displaced at an angle of 53° and released, and the question was to find the magnitude of the total acceleration when the string was at an angle of 37° to the vertical. The problem involved resolving the gravitational force into components and finding the net force and acceleration. The conversation also discussed the concept of vector addition and the importance of considering both the tangential and radial components of acceleration.
addy899

Homework Statement

A 2 kg mass hangs from the end of a 1 meter long string which is Øxed at its other end. The mass is displaced so that the string is at 53° to the vertical and released (remember sin(53°) = cos(37°)=0.8). Find the magnitude of the total acceleration of the mass when the string is at 37°
to the vertical.

Homework Equations

T=2π√1/g), ω/2π=1/T, a=-ω2xmaxcos(ωt+phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

The period of the pendulum is ~2 seconds, so ω=π can plug that into a=-ω2xmaxcos(ωt+phi) and set phi=0.

I'm not sure how to find xmax, or even what it represents in this case

Alternatively I tried making a free body diagram and see the two forces are from gravity and the tension in the string

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the second approach. This is a dynamical problem (a problem involving forces and their effects). You've correctly identified the two forces that act. Now, resolve the gravitational force into components parallel to and perpendicular to the string. Which of these components is balanced by something else, and which is not? Okay, so what is the net (unbalanced) force on the object, then? Okay, so what is the acceleration?

T is parallel to mgcosθ so the net force on the pendulum is mgsinθ=15.6N

using f=ma, a=7.83m/s2

Is this correct? The answer key I have says the acceleration is 7.2m/s2

No, it's not correct. What you're calculating is the tangential component of the acceleration (tangent to the circle). There is also a radial or centripetal component to the acceleration (perpendicular to the tangential component, and pointing towards the centre of the circle). It is not 0. The reason is that that the tension is not equal to the component of the weight parallel to the string. (I forgot about this). It is *larger* than it. The difference is the centripetal force. You have to compute the centripetal force. To do this, you need to know the speed and the radius. The radius is given (1 m). The speed can easily be found from conservation of energy. You just need to find the difference in height of the mass between the initial position when it was at 53 degrees, and the final position at 37 degrees.

The total acceleration will be the vector sum of the radial and tangential components.

Δh = .153m, PE=3J

using KE, v=1.732m/s

so Fcp=6N

so now I have to break this into its horizontal component: Fx=6sin37=3.61

I JUST REALIZED I MISCLACULATED ABOVE mgsin(37)=11.8

add this to the tangential force of 11.8N = 15.4N

and I get 7.7m/s2

I'm confused. The coordinate system I chose has Tension on the y axis. the force of gravity is in the 4th quadrant. this gives mgsin(37) along the x-axis and mgcos(37) along the negative y axis. I need to vector add the Tension and mgsin(37) to get the sum force? Why is this force not tangent to the circle?

addy899 said:
Δh = .153m, PE=3J

I get a different Δh. I think yours is wrong. How did you calculate it? Post your work, please.

addy899 said:
so Fcp=6N

so now I have to break this into its horizontal component: Fx=6sin37=3.61

No, you don't have to "break it into its horizontal component." Why would you want to do that?

addy899 said:
add this to the tangential force of 11.8N = 15.4N

and I get 7.7m/s2

You can't just "add them together." They are perpendicular to each other. You have to take their vector sum. I said that before, in my previous post.

addy899 said:
I'm confused. The coordinate system I chose has Tension on the y axis. the force of gravity is in the 4th quadrant. this gives mgsin(37) along the x-axis and mgcos(37) along the negative y axis. I need to vector add the Tension and mgsin(37) to get the sum force? Why is this force not tangent to the circle?

I actually have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

1. What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum?

The magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the magnitude of acceleration.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its acceleration?

The acceleration of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square of its length. This means that a longer pendulum will have a larger magnitude of acceleration compared to a shorter pendulum. This relationship is known as the "period of oscillation" and can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its acceleration?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the weight of the pendulum bob is the only force acting on it, the mass of the bob does not affect its acceleration.

4. How does the angle of release impact the acceleration of a pendulum?

The angle of release can affect the acceleration of a pendulum. A pendulum released at a larger angle will have a faster initial acceleration, but it will also have a shorter period of oscillation compared to a pendulum released at a smaller angle. This is because a pendulum released at a larger angle has a greater component of gravitational force acting on it, resulting in a larger initial acceleration.

5. Can the magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum cannot be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the acceleration of a pendulum is caused by the force of gravity, which is constant and always acts towards the center of the Earth. Therefore, the magnitude of acceleration of a pendulum cannot exceed the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.