1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Net Force

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1200 kg pickup truck tows a small 300 kg trailer using a relatively lightweight tow rope. The position of the trailer is given in m and time in s. *There is an animation which shows the truck pulling the trailer across X-axis.
    Given: x= -20; y= +1 **BTW, i dont know what the given has to do with anything here! :x
    Starts from zero ends at 16 seconds.

2. Relevant equations

I know F= ma. They did not give acceleration so I looked up my notes and found that:
    if I set p=truck and r= trailer g=ground, then

a = Fpg - Frg/ (mp + mr) ...... a= F/m

3. The attempt at a solution

but I'm not sure if I set that up right! I mean i took mass of truck (p) = 1200kg x 9.8 m/s^2 to give me 11760 N then mass of trailer (r) = 300 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 to give me 2940 N. (11760-2940/(1200+300) = 8820/1500 = a = 5.88.
    So if F= ma, then F = 1500 x 5.88 which gives me 8820 N.

Is this correct? What should I do? Please help...physics scares me lol

OK, so i know its incorrect bc I got it wrong on my online hw (webassign). So....?
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going to have to clarify the problem. Does the truck-trailer system travel 20 meters in 16 seconds? You'd have to calculate the acceleration, then the net force providng that acceleration. Welcome to PF.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook