What is the Net Force Acting on a Truck and Trailer System?

In summary, the problem involves a pickup truck towing a trailer using a tow rope. The position of the trailer and time are given, and the goal is to calculate the acceleration and net force of the system. The attempted solution involved calculating the mass of the truck and trailer and using the equation F=ma, but the correctness of this solution is unclear. Further clarification of the problem is needed.
VeryJerri

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg pickup truck tows a small 300 kg trailer using a relatively lightweight tow rope. The position of the trailer is given in m and time in s. *There is an animation which shows the truck pulling the trailer across X-axis.
Given: x= -20; y= +1 **BTW, i don't know what the given has to do with anything here! :x
Starts from zero ends at 16 seconds.

Homework Equations

I know F= ma. They did not give acceleration so I looked up my notes and found that:
if I set p=truck and r= trailer g=ground, then

a = Fpg - Frg/ (mp + mr) ... a= F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

but I'm not sure if I set that up right! I mean i took mass of truck (p) = 1200kg x 9.8 m/s^2 to give me 11760 N then mass of trailer (r) = 300 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 to give me 2940 N. (11760-2940/(1200+300) = 8820/1500 = a = 5.88.
So if F= ma, then F = 1500 x 5.88 which gives me 8820 N.

Is this correct? What should I do? Please help...physics scares me lol

OK, so i know its incorrect bc I got it wrong on my online homework (webassign). So...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to clarify the problem. Does the truck-trailer system travel 20 meters in 16 seconds? You'd have to calculate the acceleration, then the net force providng that acceleration. Welcome to PF.

What is the magnitude of net force?

The magnitude of net force is the total strength or intensity of all the forces acting on an object.

How is the magnitude of net force calculated?

The magnitude of net force is calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is the significance of the magnitude of net force?

The magnitude of net force is important because it determines the motion of an object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed in the same direction. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

How does the direction of the net force affect an object's motion?

The direction of the net force is crucial in determining the direction of an object's motion. An object will accelerate in the direction of the net force, regardless of the direction of the individual forces acting on it.

Can the magnitude of net force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of net force can be negative if the individual forces acting on an object are in opposite directions. This means that the net force is directed in the opposite direction of the object's motion, resulting in deceleration or a change in direction.