Magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors?

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the greater of two resistances in a circuit with a 20 V emf placed across them. In the series configuration, each resistor has a current of 2 A. In the parallel configuration, the current through the emf is 10 A. The equations used are I=I1=I2 for series and I=I1+I2 for parallel, and delta V=I1R1+I2R2. Solving for R2 and plugging it back into the first equation results in a quadratic equation which can be solved to find the value of R1.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

A 20 V emf is placed across 2 resistors in a series, a current of 2 A is present in each of the resistors. When the same emf is placed across the same 2 resistors in parallel, the current through the emf is 10 A. What is the magnitude of the greater of the 2 resistances?

Homework Equations

Series- I=I1=I2
delta V=I1R1+I2R2
Parallel- I=I1+I2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the delta V equation, slightly off in my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to tell if you made a little mistake - you haven't shown your work.

This was a question from a previous test and the work I have down is scrambled and makes little sense. Those were the equations I could pick out and I'm not even sure if I came up with my answer by working it through or I just picked an answer.

Bearbull24.5 said:

Homework Statement

A 20 V emf is placed across 2 resistors in a series, a current of 2 A is present in each of the resistors. When the same emf is placed across the same 2 resistors in parallel, the current through the emf is 10 A. What is the magnitude of the greater of the 2 resistances?

Homework Equations

Series- I=I1=I2
delta V=I1R1+I2R2
Parallel- I=I1+I2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the delta V equation, slightly off in my answer

I don't know what a delta-V equation is.

Just write the two equations for the two cases given. You end up with two equations and two unknowns (R1 and R2). Solve for R2, and you get a quadratic equation. Solve the quadratic equation, and plug that back into the first equation to get R1.

Could you please show us work along the lines of what I've outlined for you?

I would first clarify the units for the given values. The emf of 20 V is a measure of potential difference, while the current of 2 A and 10 A is a measure of electric current. This is important to note as the units for resistance are measured in volts per ampere (V/A), also known as ohms (Ω).

Using the given information, we can set up two equations for the series and parallel circuits:

Series: 20 V = 2 A (R1 + R2)
Parallel: 20 V = 10 A (R1 || R2)

Solving for the resistance in each equation, we get:
R1 + R2 = 10 Ω
(R1 || R2) = 2 Ω

To find the magnitude of the greater resistance, we can compare the two equations and see that the resistance in the parallel circuit is smaller than the total resistance in the series circuit. Therefore, the greater resistance must be in the series circuit.

Thus, the magnitude of the greater resistance is 10 Ω.

1. What is the significance of the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors?

The magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors is an important factor in determining the overall resistance in a circuit. It is the value of the resistor that has a higher resistance and will limit the flow of electrical current through the circuit.

2. How is the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors calculated?

The magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors can be calculated by finding the values of both resistors and comparing them. The resistor with the higher value will have a greater magnitude.

3. Does the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors affect the overall current in a circuit?

Yes, the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors can affect the overall current in a circuit. It acts as a limiting factor, reducing the flow of current through the circuit.

4. How does the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors impact the voltage in a circuit?

The magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors can also impact the voltage in a circuit. It can create a voltage drop, which is the decrease in voltage as the current flows through the resistor with greater magnitude.

5. Can the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors be changed?

Yes, the magnitude of the greater of 2 resistors can be changed by replacing the resistor with a different value. This will alter the overall resistance in the circuit and affect the flow of current and voltage.