Maintaining Water Temperature

In summary, in order to calculate the power required to maintain the cooling stream temperature of 46degC, you will need to integrate the specific heat capacity of the water with respect to temperature and multiply it by the mass flow rate of the cooling stream. This will give you the required power value for maintaining the coolant stream at 46degC. Additionally, you will need to do a mass and energy balance on your system to determine the specific cooling water mass flow rate needed for a given temperature difference (ΔT).
cruckshank
I have a combustion process, and have calculated the net enthalpy of my inlets and outlets. Some of the energy released by the combustion is used to heat a cooling stream, maintained at temperature 46degC.
I wish to calculate the power required to maintain this cooling stream temperature: I was thinking of integrating the specific heat capacity of the water, with respect to temperature, and multiplying by the mass flowrate of the cooling stream.
Would this give the power required to maintain the coolant stream at 46degC or am I incorrect? If so how can I calculate this power value.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cruckshank said:
I have a combustion process, and have calculated the net enthalpy of my inlets and outlets. Some of the energy released by the combustion is used to heat a cooling stream, maintained at temperature 46degC.
What does this mean? Is 46 deg the max outgoing temp? What is it's delta T?
I wish to calculate the power required to maintain this cooling stream temperature:

There must be temperature (or phase) change of the cooling stream, or there is no heat and therefore power transfer.

Power = mass flow rate * specific heat * delta T = m_dot cΔT = (kg/s)*(J/kg.K)*K = Watts

The general approach is to do a mass and energy balance on your system and find the required cooling water mass flow rate for a given ΔT (or the required ΔT for a gien mass flow)

What is the ideal temperature for maintaining water temperature?

The ideal temperature for maintaining water temperature can vary depending on the purpose of the water. For drinking water, the recommended temperature is between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. For swimming pools, the ideal temperature is between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. For aquariums, the ideal temperature can vary depending on the type of fish, but it generally ranges from 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit.

How can I maintain the temperature of a large body of water, such as a swimming pool or pond?

The best way to maintain the temperature of a large body of water is by using a pool heater or a pond heater. These devices use electricity or gas to warm the water to the desired temperature. It is important to regularly check and adjust the temperature to prevent overheating or underheating.

What are some natural ways to maintain water temperature?

One natural way to maintain water temperature is by using shading. Trees or structures can provide shade for a body of water, preventing direct sunlight from heating up the water. Another method is by using aeration. This involves circulating the water using pumps or fountains, which can help regulate the temperature. Additionally, planting aquatic plants can help regulate the temperature by providing shade and absorbing excess heat.

Why is it important to maintain water temperature?

Maintaining water temperature is important for various reasons. For drinking water, maintaining a consistent temperature can prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. For swimming pools, maintaining a comfortable temperature can ensure a safe and enjoyable swimming experience. For aquariums, maintaining the right temperature is crucial for the health and well-being of aquatic life.

What are the consequences of not maintaining water temperature?

If water temperature is not properly maintained, it can lead to various consequences. For drinking water, not maintaining the temperature can result in the growth of bacteria, making it unsafe for consumption. For swimming pools, not maintaining the temperature can result in uncomfortable swimming conditions or even health risks such as hypothermia or heat exhaustion. For aquariums, not maintaining the temperature can be harmful to aquatic life, potentially causing illness or death.