Making a spool slide without rolling

In summary, the spool will slide to the right without rolling if it is pulled in direction I, as this direction does not exert a torque on the spool. The equation τ=Fr can be used to determine this, as well as the equation F=ma. The presence of both an outer and inner spool may complicate the problem, but if the spool rolls without slipping, its instantaneous axis of rotation would be taken into consideration.
snowflake2357
1. Homework Statement
As shown in the figure to the right, a spool has outer radius R and axle radius r. A string is wrapped around the axle of the spool and can be pulled in any of the directions labeled by I, II, or III. The spool will slide to the right without rolling on the horizontal surface if it is pulled in which direction(s)?

Homework Equations

τ=Fr
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought all the forms of pulling would cause rolling, since each pull will exert a torque on the spool, but that's not right. I'm not sure if it's different because there's an inner and outer spool though, and if so, how to factor that into the problem.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
i think it would be 1, since if you are pulling it from the top, the string won't unravel (normally) and the spool won't have rotation just translation

Hint: If the spool rolls without slipping, what would be its instantaneous axis of rotation?

1. How do you make a spool slide without rolling?

Making a spool slide without rolling involves creating a track or channel for the spool to slide on. The track should be slightly curved and inclined so that the spool can slide from one end to the other without rolling.

2. What materials do you need to make a spool slide without rolling?

You will need a spool, a flat surface to create the track, and materials such as cardboard, wood, or plastic to construct the track. You may also need tools such as scissors, glue, and a ruler.

3. Can you use any type of spool to make a spool slide without rolling?

Yes, you can use any type of spool as long as it has a circular shape and can fit on the track. You may need to adjust the size or shape of the track to fit different sizes of spools.

4. Is it difficult to make a spool slide without rolling?

No, it is not difficult to make a spool slide without rolling. It may require some trial and error to create the right track shape and size, but overall it is a simple and fun science experiment.

5. What is the scientific principle behind a spool slide without rolling?

The spool slide without rolling works on the principle of friction. The slightly curved track and the weight of the spool create enough friction to prevent the spool from rolling and allow it to slide instead.