1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a spool slide without rolling

1. Dec 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As shown in the figure to the right, a spool has outer radius R and axle radius r. A string is wrapped around the axle of the spool and can be pulled in any of the directions labeled by I, II, or III. The spool will slide to the right without rolling on the horizontal surface if it is pulled in which direction(s)?

2. Relevant equations
    τ=Fr
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought all the forms of pulling would cause rolling, since each pull will exert a torque on the spool, but that's not right. I'm not sure if it's different because there's an inner and outer spool though, and if so, how to factor that into the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2012 #2
    i think it would be 1, since if you are pulling it from the top, the string won't unravel (normally) and the spool won't have rotation just translation

4. Dec 24, 2012 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: If the spool rolls without slipping, what would be its instantaneous axis of rotation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook