Maple demonstration of kepler law

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed solving an integral related to planetary motion using Kepler's law. The individual was able to solve it using Maple and is now trying to evaluate equation 31 in order to get an answer in the form of a conic section in polar coordinates. The suggested steps for this evaluation include substituting values and simplifying the equation.
kakolukia786
Hello,

I have been trying to do an assignment for one of my physics class. We are trying to demonstrate the planetary motion using Kepler's law. I have been trying to solve a integral. I was able to solve it using maple. I am trying to solve equation 29 in attached figure. I got equation 31 after integration and simplification.

My question from this equation, how do I evaluate this so that I can get answer as a conic section in polar coordinates. I assume the solution I got is correct as I am getting a desired plot. Please suggest me.

Thank You

Attachments

• maple.png
    maple.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It's great to see that you are working on a physics assignment related to planetary motion and using Kepler's law. Solving integrals can be challenging, but it seems like you have made some progress already.

To evaluate equation 31 and get an answer in the form of a conic section in polar coordinates, you can use the following steps:

1. First, substitute the values of a, e, and M from equation 31 into the equation for a conic section in polar coordinates: r = (a(1-e^2))/(1+e*cos(theta))

2. Simplify the equation by multiplying both numerator and denominator by (1-e*cos(theta))

3. This should give you the equation of a conic section in polar coordinates: r = a(1-e*cos(theta))

4. Now, you can plot this equation in polar coordinates to get a graph of the conic section, which should match the desired plot you mentioned.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is Kepler's first law?

Kepler's first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that the planets in our solar system orbit the sun in elliptical paths with the sun at one of the focal points.

2. How can Maple demonstrate Kepler's second law?

Maple can demonstrate Kepler's second law, also known as the law of equal areas, by showing that the area swept out by a planet's radius vector in a given amount of time is constant, regardless of the planet's position in its orbit.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's third law?

Kepler's third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law allows us to calculate the relative distances and periods of planets in our solar system.

4. Can Maple be used to verify Kepler's laws for other celestial bodies?

Yes, Maple can be used to verify Kepler's laws for any celestial body with a known orbit, as long as the necessary data is input into the program.

5. What are some practical applications of Kepler's laws?

Kepler's laws have been used to calculate the trajectories of space probes and satellites, as well as to predict the occurrence of astronomical events such as eclipses. They also serve as the foundation for understanding the motion of celestial bodies in our solar system.