Maple Diff.Eq. Help: Pick Correct Value for ktemp

• Maple
  • Thread starter alane1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the recommended code uses a different value for the ktemp variable than the code that the student wrote.
alane1994
Maple Diff.Eq.

Not really sure where to place this, as it crosses a couple lines. However, much of the confusion arises from the programming.

Here is what I have.

My code,

t71m46.png

My problem,

25oz5ad.png

My confusion is from what does it mean for Pick correct value for ktemp in the last line of code that I have and in the recommended codes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to use the values that correspond to the problem you are solving. For instance, take the line that says \(T(0) = ?\), that would want the initial condition for the desired problem. So I think the questions marks are related to what the problem statement contains.

Yeah, I got those lines.

T(0)= 40

My concern is with line 7 of recommended code.
And the notated line after (13) in my code.

Last edited:
alane1994 said:
Yeah, I got those lines.

T(0)= 40

My concern is with line 7 of recommended code.
And notated line (13) in my code.

\(k = hA\) where \(h\) is the heat transfer coefficient and \(A\) is the heat transfer surface area.

Stupid question...
How on Earth do I apply that to the problem, and with the given information?

Ok,

Now... how would I find the surface area of my object? I see nothing that would indicate lengths, widths, heights, or area.

alane1994 said:
Ok,

Now... how would I find the surface area of my object? I see nothing that would indicate lengths, widths, heights, or area.

I suppose you could Google what the surface area of a gallon jug or half gallon. It may even be in the back of your book.

Well...

My textbook and my Maple Lab Book are two different things.
And I can't imagine that they would give you a problem that you don't have all the necessary information in the question. And hence, where some of my confusion of this problem comes from.

Newton's law of Cooling states that the time rate of change of the temperature $T$ of an object is proportional to the difference between the ambient temperature $M$ and the temperature of the object. Stated mathematically, this is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}=-k(T-M)\) where \(\displaystyle T(0)=T_0,\,0<k\in\mathbb{R}\) and \(\displaystyle T>M\).

The ODE is separable and may be written:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{T-M}\,dT=-k\,dt\)

Integrating, using the boundaries, and dummy variables of integration, we find:

\(\displaystyle \int_{T_0}^{T(t)}\frac{1}{u-M}\,du=-k\int_0^t v\,dv\)

(1) \(\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{T(t)-M}{T_0-M} \right)=-kt\)

If we know another point \(\displaystyle \left(t_1,T_1 \right)\) we may now find $k$:

\(\displaystyle -k=\frac{1}{t_1}\ln\left(\frac{T_1-M}{T_0-M} \right)\)

Hence, we find:

(2) \(\displaystyle T(t)=\left(T_0-M \right)\left(\frac{T_1-M}{T_0-M} \right)^{\frac{t}{t_1}}+M\)

(3) \(\displaystyle t=\frac{t_1\ln\left(\frac{T(t)-M}{T_0-M} \right)}{\ln\left(\frac{T_1-M}{T_0-M} \right)}\)

1. What is Maple Diff.Eq.?

Maple Diff.Eq. is a computer software program used for solving differential equations. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to model and analyze various systems.

2. What is the purpose of "Pick Correct Value for ktemp" in Maple Diff.Eq.?

"Pick Correct Value for ktemp" is a function in Maple Diff.Eq. that allows users to specify a value for the constant 'k' in a differential equation. This helps to accurately solve the equation and obtain meaningful results.

3. How do I use "Pick Correct Value for ktemp" in Maple Diff.Eq.?

To use "Pick Correct Value for ktemp", you first need to input your differential equation into the program. Then, you can specify a value for 'k' by using the command 'ktemp := value'. Finally, you can solve the equation and obtain your results.

4. Why is it important to pick the correct value for ktemp in Maple Diff.Eq.?

The value of 'k' in a differential equation can greatly affect the behavior and outcome of the system being modeled. Therefore, it is important to choose the correct value for ktemp in order to obtain accurate and meaningful results from the equation.

5. Can "Pick Correct Value for ktemp" be used for any type of differential equation?

Yes, "Pick Correct Value for ktemp" can be used for any type of differential equation in Maple Diff.Eq. It allows for the customization of the constant 'k' in the equation, making it applicable for a wide range of systems and problems.