What Are Some Creative Ways to Launch a Marble with Precision and Consistency?

In summary, the brainstormer is looking for ideas on how to launch a marble accurately. Ideas include a gun type barrel, a marble on two rails, and a mouse-trap powered catapult.
bijanv
Hey everyone, I am in need of a little brainstorming help for a project

Basically we have to design and build a marble-launching device that will accurately launch a marble within a 4 - 9 m range. This project is all about consistency and reliability so we have to be able to hit the same spot over and over and over again. :bugeye:

Now, I'm brainstorming for some ideas of ways to launch the marble and I'd like to see if you guys have something interesting in mind.

From what I can think of, the most precise way to shoot the marble would be to "shoot" :-p it instead of launching. I don't think launching will have great accuracy as you can see with examples of catapults and trebuchets.

Also the launcher must have different angle settings and power settings.

Any ideas are greatly appreaciated! Anything 'out-of-the-box' is even better!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're probably going to want to make a gun type barrel that shoots the marble out with a spring. You would design it so that you "cock" the spring by shoving a stick down the barrel.

Just do a google search for marble launcher and you'll be well on your way! :wink:

yeah google didnt help too much. its the same design over and over which is okay but i'd like make something unique but nothings coming to my mind.

how about a "centrifugal pump" made out of 2 CD's with a track between them?

how about a mouse-trap powered catapult ... optimized for repeatability?

how about a marble on 2 rails pushed slingshot-style ... by a metal spring.

Repeatability is all about rigidity. That's why artillery pieces involve so much concrete and metal.

That said, I would be inclined to go with some sort of double-sided ramp set up, rather than a launcher involving springs since you'll be able to set things up using height.

NateTG could you explain the double sided ramp a bit more?

lightgrav, I am not sure what you mean by your idea of a centrifugal pump but it sounds interesting!

thanks for the responses!

anyother ideas?

Related to What Are Some Creative Ways to Launch a Marble with Precision and Consistency?

1. How do I begin my marble launching project?

The first step is to gather all necessary materials including a ramp, marbles, and a launcher. Then, determine the desired launch angle and calculate the required height for the ramp. Next, set up the ramp and launcher and test the launch angle using a protractor.

2. What factors affect the distance a marble will travel when launched?

The launch angle, height of the ramp, and the initial velocity of the marble are the main factors that affect the distance a marble will travel. Additionally, the surface of the ramp and the weight and size of the marble can also play a role.

3. How can I increase the accuracy of my marble launching project?

To increase accuracy, it is important to ensure that the ramp is set up straight and the launch angle is consistent for each trial. Using the same type and size of marbles and launching them from the same spot on the ramp can also improve accuracy.

4. Can I change the materials used in my marble launching project?

Yes, you can experiment with different materials for the ramp and launcher to see how they affect the distance the marble travels. However, it is important to keep all other variables constant to accurately compare the results.

5. What can I learn from a marble launching project?

A marble launching project can teach you about the laws of motion and how different variables can affect the outcome of an experiment. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills as you analyze and interpret the results of your project.