How Do You Calculate the Angular Motion of a Pulley System?

In summary: You are trying to find the number of radians that the disc must rotate to haul the rope up a distance L. Keep the answer symbolic. Do not substitute numbers yet.d) asked for the number of radians. You have found it be be L/r. There was no need to do any calculations involving π since it canceled out. You are trying to find the number of radians that the disc must rotate to haul the rope up a distance L. Keep the answer symbolic. Do not substitute numbers yet.So the answer is L/r radians. That is what was asked for in part d. Keep it symbolic!So the answer is L/r radians. That is what was asked for in part d
ikihi

Homework Statement

Consider a pulley with a mass-less cord attached to its edge. The rope hangs a distance of d= 2.50 m below the bottom of the pulley. Attached to the end of this cord is a block with mass 3.00 kg. There is also an electric motor attached to the pulley which supplies a torque of 28.7 N * m. The pulley can be considered a disk with a radius of 0.65 m. The mass of the pulley is 1.3 kg.

a) What is the torque due to the hanging block? Answer: 19.11 N ⋅ m
b) what is the moment of inertia of the pulley? Answer: 0.2746 kg ⋅ m
c) Once the motor is turned on the pulley begins to rotate counter clock-wise. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the pulley? Answer: 6.22 rad/sec2
d) Through how many radians must the pulley rotate in order to lift the block to the bottom edge of the pulley?
e) Once the motor is turned on, how long will it take the top edge of the block to reach the bottom of the pulley?

Homework Equations

I = 0.5 * m * r^2 (moment of inertia)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help with d and e.
[/B]
d) The circumference of the pulley is 4.08 m and the cord is 2.50 m. So the total rotation length is 1.58 m. How do i find how many revolutions from this? It should be less than 1 revolution, correct?

e) t = ±(2⋅θ)/(α)
t = ?

Attachments

• pulley.PNG
    pulley.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
ikihi said:
So the total rotation length is 1.58 m
I don't knowwhat you mean by rotation length. You seem to have divided circumference by rope length, but that will not give a distance.
If the disc were to rotate one revolution, it would haul the rope up 4.08m. How many radians is one revolution? What fraction of that would haul it up the desired distance?

haruspex said:
I don't knowwhat you mean by rotation length. You seem to have divided circumference by rope length, but that will not give a distance.
If the disc were to rotate one revolution, it would haul the rope up 4.08m. How many radians is one revolution? What fraction of that would haul it up the desired distance?

There are 2π radians in one revolution. So if i take 2.50m/4.08 m that is 0.613 rad?(not sure on the equation to use here) If I take 0.613 rad/2π = 0.963 revolutions? (The equation I used here was n= θ/2π)

ikihi said:
There are 2π radians in one revolution. So if i take 2.50m/4.80 m that is 0.613 rad. If I take 0.613 rad/2π = 0.963 revolutions? (The equation I used was n= θ/2π)
No, I think you have done the conversion backwards. Better to keep things symbolic as long as possible, so let the radius be r.
One revolution would haul 2πr. To haul length L, what fraction of a revolution is that?

haruspex said:
No, I think you have done the conversion backwards. Better to keep things symbolic as long as possible, so let the radius be r.
One revolution would haul 2πr. To haul length L, what fraction of a revolution is that?

ikihi said:
I said to keep everything symbolic. Ignore the given numbers. Express it in terms of r, L etc.

haruspex said:
I said to keep everything symbolic. Ignore the given numbers. Express it in terms of r, L etc.

L = d / 2⋅π⋅r

ikihi said:
L = d / 2⋅π⋅r
What is d? I defined L as the length of rope. I did not define a variable for the fraction, but let's call it f.

haruspex said:
What is d? I defined L as the length of rope. I did not define a variable for the fraction, but let's call it f.

f = L / 2⋅π⋅r

so... f = 2.50m / 2⋅π⋅0.65 m = 0.61213

Last edited:
ikihi said:
f = L / 2⋅π⋅r
Right. That is a fraction of a revolution, remember. How many radians is one revolution?

haruspex said:
Right. That is a fraction of a revolution, remember. How many radians is one revolution?

There is 2π rad/rev or 6.28319 rad/rev.
So you are saying it is 0.61213 rev ⋅ 6.28319 rad/rev = 3.846 rad?

So how do i find how many revolutions? Is it n= θ rad / 2π rad ?

Last edited:
ikihi said:
There is 2π rad/rev
Right, so how many radians does a wheel of radius r need to turn to haul a length L?
(Please do not keep substituting numbers from the actual question. Keep it symbolic for now.)

haruspex said:
Right, so how many radians does a wheel of radius r need to turn to haul a length L?
(Please do not keep substituting numbers from the actual question. Keep it symbolic for now.)

A fractional amount of 2π rad/rev.

f * 2π = L / r

ikihi said:
A fractional amount of 2π rad/rev.

f * 2π = L / r
Right. Do you see now why I pushed you to work symbolically? The πs cancelled, leaving a very simple formula for the number of radians.

haruspex said:
Right. Do you see now why I pushed you to work symbolically? The πs cancelled, leaving a very simple formula for the number of radians.

I understand your reasoning, but I still am confused. which two π canceled? What variable am I solving for in that formula f * 2π = L / r ?

Last edited:
ikihi said:
I understand your reasoning, but I still am confused. which two π canceled? What variable am I solving for in that formula f * 2π = L / r ?
d) asked for the number of radians. You have found it be be L/r. There was no need to do any calculations involving π since it canceled out.

1. What is a mass and pulley system?

A mass and pulley system is a simple machine consisting of a pulley and a mass connected by a rope or cable. The pulley allows the mass to move vertically or horizontally with minimal friction.

2. How does a mass and pulley system work?

The pulley in a mass and pulley system acts as a force multiplier, allowing for a smaller force to lift a larger mass. The mass is supported by the tension in the rope, which is equal to the force applied on the other end of the rope.

3. What are the different types of pulleys used in a mass and pulley system?

There are three types of pulleys commonly used in a mass and pulley system: fixed, movable, and compound pulleys. A fixed pulley has a stationary axle, a movable pulley has a free-moving axle, and a compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys.

4. How is the mechanical advantage of a mass and pulley system calculated?

The mechanical advantage of a mass and pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force (force applied to the mass) by the input force (force applied to the other end of the rope). The number of ropes supporting the mass also affects the mechanical advantage.

5. What are some common applications of mass and pulley systems?

Mass and pulley systems are used in various industries and everyday life, such as elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and window blinds. They are also used in physics experiments and demonstrations to study concepts such as force, work, and mechanical advantage.