Mass, Moments and Center of Mass

In summary, a square plate with an edge of a cm and an areal density of kr g/cm^2, where r is the distance from P to one of the diagonals, needs to find the mass. The correct diagram has r extending from the center where the diagonals meet, instead of from both diagonals. The easiest approach would be to rotate the square so that r is perpendicular to the diagonal.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

A square plate with edge a cm and areal density kr g/cm^2, where r is the distance (in centimetres) from P to one of the diagnals of the square.

Find the mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know my diagram is wrong, and I know what the correct one looks like. However, I do not see how my diagram does not work... All of the diagnals meet at the centre which in my diagram is the origin. Hence, and radius extends from all the diagnals to position P.

Any ideas?

math-1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dimpledur! :smile:

the diagonal is one of the two lines from one corner to the opposite corner :wink:

Yeah, so in my diagram r extends from both diagnals, does it not? I'll provide another picture.

yes, so choose one of the diagonals, as in the question :wink:
dimpledur said:
… where r is the distance (in centimetres) from P to one of the diagnals of the square.

math2.jpg

Here, r extends from the very center where the diagnals meet, and hence touches both.. hmm

tiny-tim said:
yes, so choose one of the diagonals, as in the question :wink:

So the easiest way to appreach this would be to rotate the square such that r is perpendicular to the diagnal of the square?

dimpledur said:
Here, r extends from the very center …

erm, noooo :redface:

r is perpendicular to one diagonal

Okay, thanks.

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg). Mass can be measured using a balance scale or by calculating the product of an object's density and volume.

2. What is a moment in physics?

In physics, a moment is a quantity that describes the tendency of an object to rotate around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point or axis of rotation.

3. How is the center of mass determined in an object?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which its mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It can be determined by finding the balance point of the object or by using the mathematical formula for calculating the center of mass.

4. What is the difference between center of mass and center of gravity?

The center of mass and center of gravity are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The center of mass is the point where an object's mass is evenly distributed, while the center of gravity is the point where the force of gravity on an object is balanced.

5. How does understanding mass, moments, and center of mass impact real-world applications?

Understanding mass, moments, and center of mass is crucial in many real-world applications, including engineering, architecture, and physics. This knowledge allows for the design and construction of stable structures and the calculation of forces and torques in various systems.