Mass of Nuclide Remaining After a Fraction of a Half-Life

In summary, to order 3.25 μg of 47Ca for an experiment with a half-life of 4.53 days, one must order 4.47 μg of 100% enriched CaCO3 and wait 50 hours for delivery from the nuclear facility.
jzwiep

Homework Statement

You want to do an experiment using 47Ca (half-life=4.53 days). You will need 3.25 μg of the nuclide. What mass of CaCO3 (100% enriched in 47Ca) must you order if it will take 50 hours to be delivered to you from the nuclear facility where it is prepared?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4.53 days x 24 hrs/day = 108.72 hrs

50/108.72 = 0.4599 half-lives

(1/2)^0.4599 = 0.727

3.25 μg / 0.727 = 4.47 μg

Am I doing something wrong? All the ways I've seen to do this type of problem lead me to the same answer, but it says it's incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
jzwiep said:

Homework Statement

You want to do an experiment using 47Ca (half-life=4.53 days). You will need 3.25 μg of the nuclide. What mass of CaCO3 (100% enriched in 47Ca) must you order if it will take 50 hours to be delivered to you from the nuclear facility where it is prepared?

Am I doing something wrong?
All the ways I've seen to do this type of problem lead me to the same answer, but it says it's incorrect.

I don't think so but you haven't finished, read the question carefully!

1. What does the term "half-life" refer to in relation to nuclides?

The term "half-life" refers to the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample of a radioactive nuclide to decay into a more stable form.

2. How is the mass of nuclide remaining after a fraction of a half-life calculated?

The mass of nuclide remaining after a fraction of a half-life can be calculated using the formula:
Mass remaining = Initial mass x (1/2)n, where n is the number of half-lives that have passed.

3. Can the mass of nuclide remaining after a fraction of a half-life be predicted?

Yes, the mass of nuclide remaining after a fraction of a half-life can be predicted using the formula mentioned above. However, this calculation is based on probability and there is no way to accurately predict when an individual atom will decay.

4. How does the half-life of a nuclide affect the amount of remaining mass?

The half-life of a nuclide directly affects the amount of remaining mass. The longer the half-life, the slower the rate of decay, resulting in a larger amount of remaining mass after a given fraction of a half-life. Conversely, a shorter half-life will result in a smaller amount of remaining mass after the same fraction of a half-life.

5. Why is the concept of half-life important in studying radioactive nuclides?

The concept of half-life is important in studying radioactive nuclides because it allows scientists to predict the rate of decay and the amount of remaining mass over time. This information is crucial in fields such as radiocarbon dating, nuclear medicine, and understanding the behavior of radioactive materials in the environment.