Mass on plane, applied force, and kinetic friction

In summary, to find the speed of a block of mass 15.0 kg after 2.00 s, sitting on a plane inclined at a 37.0° angle with a 227 N force applied up the plane and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.500, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Thus, the final velocity of the block is 20.46 m/s.
IAmPat

Homework Statement

A block of mass 15.0 kg sits on a plane that is inclined at a 37.0° angle to the horizontal. A 227 N force, pointing up the plane, is applied to the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.500. What is the speed of the block after 2.00 s?

Homework Equations

m = 15.0kg
Fn = 147N
[tex]\mu[/tex]k = .500

The Attempt at a Solution

Fk = 73.5N (natural force * kinetic friction coefficient)
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = 227 - 73.5 = 153.5
153.5 = (15)[tex]a_{x}[/tex]
[tex]a_{x}[/tex] = 10.23I got to here and then stopped because I didn't see how I could work out a solution using this method. Is there another equation I can use, or a different approach I should take?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with your solution so far. To find the speed of the block after 2.00 s, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Since you have already calculated the acceleration (a) to be 10.23 m/s^2, you can plug that into the equation along with the given time of 2.00 s to find the final velocity (v).

v = 0 + (10.23 m/s^2)(2.00 s)
v = 20.46 m/s

Therefore, the speed of the block after 2.00 s is 20.46 m/s. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Mass on plane, applied force, and kinetic friction

1. What is the formula for calculating mass on a plane?

The formula for calculating mass on a plane is m = F/a, where m is the mass, F is the applied force, and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does the angle of the plane affect the mass?

The angle of the plane does not directly affect the mass. However, it does affect the force required to keep the object in motion. As the angle of the plane increases, the force of gravity pulling the object down the plane also increases, requiring a greater applied force to overcome it.

3. What is kinetic friction and how does it relate to mass on a plane?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides across a surface. It is dependent on the type of surfaces in contact and the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface. In the case of an object on a plane, the normal force is affected by the angle of the plane and the weight of the object. As the mass of the object increases, the normal force also increases, resulting in a higher kinetic friction force.

4. How do you calculate the net force on an object on a plane?

The net force on an object on a plane can be calculated using the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is the sum of the applied force and the force of kinetic friction, which is dependent on the mass, angle of the plane, and coefficient of kinetic friction between the surfaces.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the mass on a plane?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a constant that represents the friction between two surfaces in motion. It is affected by factors such as the type of surfaces and any lubricants present. As the coefficient of kinetic friction increases, the force of kinetic friction also increases, requiring a greater applied force to overcome it. This can result in a higher mass being required to maintain a constant acceleration on the plane.