How Do You Calculate Amplitude and Phase in a Damped Oscillator?

• Thread starter phenalor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the problem involves a mass-spring-dampener system that is initially at rest and is then subjected to a force mg and then a constant force Mg. The goal is to find a formula for the amplitude A and phase angle \phi of the resulting motion. Using the equations for the system and solving for \dot{y}(0)=0 and y(0)=\frac{m}{M}y_0, the values for A and \phi can be found.
phenalor

Homework Statement

A mass-spring-dampener system is applied a force [itex]mg[/itex] and is immediatly removed, setting the system in motion. The system is constantly applied force [itex]Mg[/itex] and is static at [itex]y=y_0[/itex].
Find a formula for both [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\ddot{y}+2\delta\dot{y}+w_0^2y=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{2\pi}{w_0}=T_0[/itex]
[itex]\delta = \frac{3}{5}w_0[/itex]
[itex]F_f=-b\dot{y}[/itex]
[itex]Mg=ky_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

from this i find [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. No problem, not part of my question.

when the force is applied, the system 'moves' in y direction and is set in motion, given function:

[itex]y(t)=Ae^{-\delta t}cos\left(w_d t+\phi\right)[/itex]
[itex]w_d=\sqrt{w_0^2+\delta^2}[/itex]

I'm to find [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]

my try:

I understand [itex]\dot{y}(0)=0[/itex] gives:
[itex]\dot{y}=-\delta Ae^{-\delta t}cos(w_d t+\phi)-w_d A e^{-\delta t}sin(w_d t + \phi)[/itex]
gives:
[itex]\phi=\arctan{\frac{-\delta}{w_d}}[/itex]

however i do not find a substitute for [itex]y(0)[/itex]. The solution says [itex]y(0)=\frac{m}{M}y_0[/itex], but i don't see the logic in that at all

Sorry if its a bit caotic, this is only part of the assignment. ask and i will provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm, found the solution

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Amplitude and Phase in a Damped Oscillator?

What is a mass-spring-dampened system?

A mass-spring-dampened system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring and a damper, which is a device that dissipates energy. This system is commonly used to model the behavior of objects undergoing oscillatory motion.

What are the components of a mass-spring-dampened system?

A mass-spring-dampened system consists of three main components: a mass, a spring, and a damper. The mass represents the physical object undergoing oscillatory motion, the spring provides the restoring force, and the damper dissipates energy to prevent the system from oscillating indefinitely.

What factors affect the behavior of a mass-spring-dampened system?

The behavior of a mass-spring-dampened system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient of the damper. Additionally, external forces and initial conditions can also affect the system's behavior.

What is the equilibrium position of a mass-spring-dampened system?

The equilibrium position of a mass-spring-dampened system is the position where the net force on the mass is zero and the system is at rest. This position is determined by the balance between the restoring force of the spring and the dissipative force of the damper.

How is the behavior of a mass-spring-dampened system described mathematically?

The behavior of a mass-spring-dampened system can be described mathematically using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This results in a second-order differential equation, which can be solved to determine the motion of the system over time.

Back