Mass of M2 in kg: Solve Mass/Tension Problem

• Thread starter missyjane
  • Start date
In summary, the left-hand cable has a tension T1 and makes an angle of 49 with the horizontal, while the right-hand cable has a tension T3 and makes an angle of 51 with the horizontal. The weights M1 and M2 are connected by a horizontal cable with a tension of 32N. By considering the horizontal and vertical forces, we can find the tensions T1 and T3, and use them to calculate the mass of M2. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and is balanced by the weight of the masses.
missyjane
A left-hand cable has a tension T1 and makes an angle of 49 with the horizontal. The right-hand cable has a tension T3 and makes an angle of 51 with the horizontal. A weight M1 is on the left and a weight M2 is on the right. A cable connecting the two weights has a tension 32N and is horizontal. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the mass of M2 in kg?

I have no clue where to even start. Help please! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as the system isn't accelerating, the resultant of forces must equal 0.

:confused: I'm still lost

Draw a freebody diagram for each body, and then do a sum of forces. Remember to consider the weight of the bodies.

That's what I'm trying to find though...the mass of the second weight.

Ok, I know I have to find T1 using the given angle and that T2=32N...but how does that information help me?

missyjane said:
Ok, I know I have to find T1 using the given angle and that T2=32N...but how does that information help me?

If I am visualizing this correctly, the tension T1 has components to the left and up. These are balanced by T2 to the right, and the weight of the mass (m1 * g) downward. Nothing is accelerating, so the sum of all these forces is zero.

I will give you the horizontal equation, to get you started. The horizontal component of T1 is T1 cos 49. So you have T2 - T1 cos 49 = 0. If you solve this, you will have the value of T1. You can then use this in the vertical forces to get the value of the mass.

You proceed the same way on the right side, to get the tension T3 and the mass M2.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass?

The formula for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. This formula can be used for both solid and liquid objects.

2. How is tension related to mass?

Tension is directly proportional to mass. This means that as the mass increases, the tension also increases and vice versa. In the context of this problem, the tension is the force pulling on M2.

3. Is the mass of M2 affected by gravity?

Yes, the mass of M2 is affected by gravity. In fact, the mass of any object is the measure of its resistance to acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the mass of M2 be negative?

No, the mass of any object cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity that represents the amount of matter in an object. Negative mass is not a concept that exists in physics.

5. How can I use the mass/tension problem to solve for M2?

To solve for the mass of M2, you can rearrange the formula for tension to solve for mass: mass = tension/density. Then, plug in the values for tension and density to calculate the mass of M2 in kilograms.