Masses in a Triangle - Gravitational Force

In summary: You will have a formula with the unknown m in it. In summary, Three uniform spheres, with two having a mass of 2.84 kg each, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length of 1.23 m. The third sphere, with an unknown mass, is released from rest. Using the formula F=Gm1m2/r^2, the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the third sphere can be found by dividing the force by the mass. The mass and force on the third sphere can be solved for using this formula.
Student3.41

Homework Statement

Three uniform spheres are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle. Each side of the triangle has a length of 1.23 m. Two of the spheres have a mass of 2.84 kg each. The third sphere (mass unknown) is released from rest. Considering only the gravitational forces that the spheres exert on each other, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the third sphere

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/f^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try out superposition.

Student3.41 said:
Bump

erm :redface: … we're waiting for you to start :frown:

Ok well, mass 1 is on the top corner, mass 2 and 3 are on the bottom corners of the triangle.

F_12 = (6.67x10^-11)(2.84)(2.84)/(1.23)^2 = 3.56x10^-11N

I assumed the acceleration is going to be the same for each mass.

a = 3.56x10^-11/2.84 = 1.25x10^-11

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :smile:)

But the question is asking for the (initial) acceleration of the third sphere. :redface:

(and btw, what was the point of multiplying by 2.84 and then dividing by it again? :wink:)

I have no idea.

There is no information given for [m][3], I am assuming I would have to find the mass of sphere 3 to the inital acceleration. I know F=ma so, m=F/a I am not sure if I would let x = [m][3] and solve for x, then once I have the mass I can easily get acceleration? or am I completely off

Student3.41 said:
There is no information given for [m][3], I am assuming I would have to find the mass of sphere 3 to the inital acceleration. I know F=ma so, m=F/a I am not sure if I would let x = [m][3] and solve for x, then once I have the mass I can easily get acceleration? or am I completely off

Call the mass m, find the force, then divide by m …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Call the mass m, find the force, then divide by m …

what do you get? :smile:

You will get the inital acceleration of the mass, but I am unsure how to get the mass and the Force on M3

Student3.41 said:
You will get the inital acceleration of the mass, but I am unsure how to get the mass and the Force on M3

Call the mass m, and find the force.

Related to Masses in a Triangle - Gravitational Force

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between masses in a triangle?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between masses in a triangle is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses, and r is the distance between the masses.

2. How does the position of the masses affect the gravitational force in a triangle?

The position of the masses in a triangle can affect the gravitational force by changing the distance between the masses. The closer the masses are to each other, the greater the gravitational force will be. Similarly, the farther apart the masses are, the weaker the gravitational force will be.

3. What is the relationship between the masses and the gravitational force in a triangle?

The relationship between the masses and the gravitational force in a triangle is directly proportional. This means that as the masses increase, the gravitational force between them also increases. Conversely, as the masses decrease, the gravitational force decreases.

4. How does the distance between the masses affect the gravitational force in a triangle?

The distance between the masses in a triangle has an inverse relationship with the gravitational force. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the gravitational force increases.

5. What is the significance of the gravitational force in a triangle?

The gravitational force in a triangle is significant because it helps us understand the interactions between masses in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.