Massive Relay Control: Do I Need 100 I/O Ports?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter BlackPowder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control Relay
In summary, massive relay control involves using a large number of I/O ports to control multiple relays. While 100 I/O ports may seem excessive, it can be necessary for complex systems that require a high level of control and precision. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific needs of the system before determining the exact number of I/O ports needed, as having too many can also lead to unnecessary complexity and potential issues in the long run.
BlackPowder
Is there any solutions for a micro controller to control massive amount of relays, such as 100 of them? Do I really need 100 I/O ports for this circuit? I can make one master MCU with couple slaves to get many I/O ports. But I think there must be some better way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
One solution is to use IO expanders based on serial links like I2C. That's a 2-wire interface (plus a ground wire) where each expander module on the serial link has its own address. The master communicates with each module by using its address, and tells it which of its IOs to assert or read. Are you familiar with I2C links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I²C

berkeman said:
One solution is to use IO expanders based on serial links like I2C. That's a 2-wire interface (plus a ground wire) where each expander module on the serial link has its own address. The master communicates with each module by using its address, and tells it which of its IOs to assert or read. Are you familiar with I2C links?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I²C
Thank you for the advice. You are right, an IO expander really helps here. Also, I just found a switch array chip MT8809, but I am not sure if those internal switches could interfere with each other.

BlackPowder said:
I just found a switch array chip MT8809, but I am not sure if those internal switches could interfere with each other.
Can you post a link to a datasheet for us? How much coil current (at what voltage) will your relays require? Are the relays latching? What will you be using for the power supply(s) for the IO Expander cards with the relays?

berkeman said:
Can you post a link to a datasheet for us? How much coil current (at what voltage) will your relays require? Are the relays latching? What will you be using for the power supply(s) for the IO Expander cards with the relays?
I am trying to control a massive amount of electrodes (position-fixed leads of a capacitance sensor FDC2214 for imaging, more electrodes means higher resolution). The control here is merely a "connected/disconnected" from each electrode to FDC2214. What kind of relay or switch is not yet decided. The power supply will be a 5V DC from an AVR MCU.

Can you use FETs or analog switches instead of relays? Relays are kind of clunky unless you need the voltage isolation...

berkeman said:
Can you use FETs or analog switches instead of relays? Relays are kind of clunky unless you need the voltage isolation...
Yes. Analog switches are what I am searching right now.

Likes berkeman
As usual, tradeoffs do exist.
3 main strategies can be working:
1) Control through universal demultiplexer (IO expander falls to this category - most universal and most expensive in terms of cost and size)
2) Control through the array of shift registers. 25 shift registers 74HC164 allows to control up to 200 devices from ATTINY88 MCU. Cheap and dirty. Modern version usually implement shift registers in the fitting FPGA package though.
3) Control through 2D array (least demanding from software standpoint) - you can control 196 relay/switches from ATTINY88, but you need to use latching switches.

BlackPowder said:
I am trying to control a massive amount of electrodes (position-fixed leads of a capacitance sensor FDC2214 for imaging, more electrodes means higher resolution).
From the relevant datasheet:
Don't.png

I won't say that it is impossible to make it work, but usually it requires a deep understanding of the circuit to go against the factory recommendations. I suggest to check for alternative solutions.
Also, worth checking the PCB layout recommendations. They are not there to be taken as a joke!

Attachments

• Don't.png
    Don't.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 568
Rive said:
From the relevant datasheet:
View attachment 236908
I won't say that it is impossible to make it work, but usually it requires a deep understanding of the circuit to go against the factory recommendations. I suggest to check for alternative solutions.
Also, worth checking the PCB layout recommendations. They are not there to be taken as a joke!
Thank you for the advice. I always have a backup plan of moving the sensor by servomotor to sweep over the sample if "sensor array" is a dead-end.

trurle said:
As usual, tradeoffs do exist.
3 main strategies can be working:
1) Control through universal demultiplexer (IO expander falls to this category - most universal and most expensive in terms of cost and size)
2) Control through the array of shift registers. 25 shift registers 74HC164 allows to control up to 200 devices from ATTINY88 MCU. Cheap and dirty. Modern version usually implement shift registers in the fitting FPGA package though.
3) Control through 2D array (least demanding from software standpoint) - you can control 196 relay/switches from ATTINY88, but you need to use latching switches.
This is amazing. I won't go to atmega328 if attiny works. Thank you for the advice.

Related to Massive Relay Control: Do I Need 100 I/O Ports?

1. What is Massive Relay Control?

Massive Relay Control is a system that allows for the control of a large number of relays, typically 100 or more, using a single device.

2. How does Massive Relay Control work?

Massive Relay Control works by connecting a single device, such as a microcontroller, to multiple relays through a network or bus system. This allows for the control of a large number of relays using a single interface.

3. Why would I need 100 I/O ports for Massive Relay Control?

In order to control a large number of relays, each relay requires its own input/output (I/O) port. Therefore, if you have 100 relays, you will need 100 I/O ports to control them all.

4. Can I use less than 100 I/O ports for Massive Relay Control?

It is possible to use less than 100 I/O ports for Massive Relay Control, but this will limit the number of relays that can be controlled. The number of I/O ports needed depends on the number of relays being controlled.

5. What are some common applications for Massive Relay Control?

Massive Relay Control is commonly used in industrial automation, home automation, and other systems that require the control of a large number of relays. It can also be used in scientific research and experiments that involve controlling multiple devices or instruments.