Materials - Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da

• Thread starter GreenLRan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the equation "Materials - Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da" represents the maximum shear stress that a material can withstand, and is used in materials science to determine the strength and durability of different materials. Factors such as the type of material, physical properties, applied load, and dimensions can affect the maximum shear stress of a material. This equation can be applied to all materials, but there may be limitations and assumptions in its use, such as assuming the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and in a state of pure shear. It also does not account for other factors like temperature, time, and environmental conditions.
GreenLRan

Homework Statement

problem 2.12-5
http://www.geocities.com/greenlran/mechmat.jpg

Homework Equations

Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble setting up the integral (determining what to use for da).
I tried integrating with 32in^2 as da giving me 320 kips... the actual answer is 213 kips.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I figured it out

I would suggest approaching this problem by first identifying the materials involved. From the provided image, it appears that the materials are steel and aluminum. Next, I would gather information about their properties, such as their Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio, which can be used to calculate the shear stress and strain in each material. From there, I would use the given equation, Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da, to calculate the maximum shear force at the joint. In order to properly set up the integral, it is important to consider the geometry of the joint and the distribution of shear stress along its surface. This may require breaking the joint into smaller sections and integrating over each section separately. Finally, I would compare my calculated value to the given answer of 213 kips to determine if there are any errors in my calculations or assumptions about the materials and joint.

1. What is the meaning of "Materials - Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da"?

The equation "Materials - Vy(max)=integral Tau(xy) da" represents the maximum shear stress (Vy) that a material can withstand, which is equal to the integral of the shear stress (Tau) multiplied by the differential surface area (da).

2. How is this equation used in materials science?

This equation is used to determine the maximum shear stress that a material can handle before failing. It helps scientists and engineers understand the strength and durability of different materials, and can be used to design structures and products that can withstand certain levels of stress.

3. What factors affect the maximum shear stress of a material?

The maximum shear stress of a material can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its physical properties (such as density and elasticity), the applied load or force, and the dimensions and geometry of the material.

4. Can this equation be applied to all materials?

Yes, this equation can be applied to all materials, but the values for the maximum shear stress may vary depending on the specific material and its properties.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in using this equation?

Like any mathematical equation, there may be limitations and assumptions in using this equation. Some of these include assuming the material is homogeneous, isotropic, and in a state of pure shear. It also does not take into account other factors such as temperature, time, and environmental conditions that may affect the material's strength.