Math/Astrophysics Project Ideas

• Thread starter Ryan H
  • Start date
The last step before getting my degree in Mathematics is a senior thesis that I need to write. Ideally I could combine my interest in astronomy/astrophysics with a math focus and have a thesis I'd actually be interested in writing. I'm just coming up short as far as ideas go. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

I'd suggest something along the lines of black holes. However, as this is your thesis, it needs to reflect your interests. Try making a list of astronomy/astrophysics topics you are interested in and a list of mathematical topics you are interested in. After you finish that, attempt to link the mathematical topics to the astronomy/astrophysical topics. If that does not work, talk to mathematical and astronomy/astrophysical professors. They might be able to help you come up with some ideas.

Good luck on your thesis.

Stellar physics is chock full of maths...GR obviously is more maths than anything else (almost!)...

its a bit hard to suggest specific ideas with the possible field quite so large! Do you have any more specific ideas, stars, galaxies, spectroscopy, orbital mechanics, cosmology, CMB power distributions...