Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math/Astrophysics Project Ideas

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    The last step before getting my degree in Mathematics is a senior thesis that I need to write. Ideally I could combine my interest in astronomy/astrophysics with a math focus and have a thesis I'd actually be interested in writing. I'm just coming up short as far as ideas go. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    I'd suggest something along the lines of black holes. However, as this is your thesis, it needs to reflect your interests. Try making a list of astronomy/astrophysics topics you are interested in and a list of mathematical topics you are interested in. After you finish that, attempt to link the mathematical topics to the astronomy/astrophysical topics. If that does not work, talk to mathematical and astronomy/astrophysical professors. They might be able to help you come up with some ideas.

Good luck on your thesis.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Stellar physics is chock full of maths...GR obviously is more maths than anything else (almost!)...

its a bit hard to suggest specific ideas with the possible field quite so large! Do you have any more specific ideas, stars, galaxies, spectroscopy, orbital mechanics, cosmology, CMB power distributions...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook