Math Methods in Physics, find FODE

In summary: Thx again!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of an object as it reaches the center of the Earth by using the Gauss' Law for gravitation. The mass enclosed and the Earth's uniform mass density are taken into consideration to determine a first-order differential equation for the object's velocity in terms of distance from the Earth's center. Integration is then used to solve for the velocity at the center of the Earth.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

Suppose that a hole has been drilled through the center of the Earth, and that an object is dropped into this hole. Write a first-order differential equation for the object's velocity, v as a function of the distance r from the Earth's center (i.e., an equation involving dv/dr), and solve it to determine the speed the object achieves as it reaches the center of the Earth. Check this speed with the result you get from simple conservation of energy considerations. Consider the Earth's mass density to be uniform throughout. [Hint: recall Gauss' Law as it applies to the gravitational field of a spherically symmetric mass distribution.]

Homework Equations

I think the Gauss' Law for gravitation is simply to point out that the force is only effected by the mass enclosed, not the outer mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, here is what I know...

The mass enclosed is a function of radius so [tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{Fm(r)}{r^2} [/tex]

I thought, to get [tex] \frac{dv}{dr} [/tex] I multiply both sides by [tex] \frac{dt}{dr} [/tex]. This gives me [tex] \frac {dt}{dr} \frac {Gm(r)}{r^2} = \frac {dv}{dr} [/tex]. Now I have a function in terms of dv/dr, but I am not sure if this is right or what to do next.

Thx for any tips or help!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have here:

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{Gm(r)}{r^2} [/tex]

looks fine. What you have to do is find how the mass of the Earth varies with radius (i.e. look at the hint given in the question). once you have this it becomes a separable differential equation and you can solve that quite easily through integration.

I'm sorry I won't be able to help, but I have to ask...do you to go ASU?

Still not there...

So...

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{Gm(r)}{r^2} = \frac{4}{3} G \rho \pi r [/tex]

... there doesn't seem to be any variable to separate, is there? I can move the dt over to the right hand side..

[tex] dv = \frac {4}{3} G \rho \pi r dt [/tex]

and integrate both sides to get...

[tex] v = \frac {4}{3} F \rho \pi r t + C [/tex]

I don't think this is right... With this function as r approaches zero, the velocity minimizes, but the opposite would be the case.

Ok let me start again. The question hints at using Gauss' law for gravitation. Do you know what this is? This may give you a clue as to how to proceed.

The differential version of Gauss' law for a spherically symmetric distribution just has one variable of radius.

I am a little familiar with the integral form of Gauss' law, but I don't understand the differential version at all.

I thought that the reason for the Gauss' law hint was that the only mass affecting the velocity/acceleration is the mass enclosed.

so I'm sorry for the text version but i can help you (Pi = 3.1415blah blah blah) and (P(row) = p) so Pi and p might be confusing but bare with me. (a = acceleration) (G = gravitational constant) i think you can figure out the rest.

so (4/3)(Pi)(G)(p)(r) = a

and a = (dv/dt) = (dv/dr)(dr/dt)

so (4/3)(Pi)(G)(p)(r)(dr) = v(dv)
(*1st side*) ----------- (*2nd side*)

integrate both sides,

first side from radius of earth, to zero.

Second side between velocity zero and V(velocity at center of earth) and goto algebra city! :smile:

Hey I know you! Thx, I did get it already. The part we were missing was (dv/dt) = (dv/dr)(dr/dt)

1. What are the basic principles of mathematical methods in physics?

The basic principles of mathematical methods in physics involve using mathematical equations and techniques to describe and analyze physical phenomena. This includes topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis.

2. How do mathematical methods help in solving problems in physics?

Mathematical methods provide a systematic approach to solving complex problems in physics. They allow us to model and quantify physical phenomena, and make predictions about their behavior. By using mathematical tools, we can also analyze and interpret experimental data to gain a deeper understanding of the laws of nature.

3. What is a first-order differential equation (FODE) and how is it used in physics?

A first-order differential equation (FODE) is an equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. In physics, FODEs are commonly used to describe the rate of change of physical quantities with respect to time. They can also be used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as other dynamic systems.

4. What are the common techniques for solving FODEs in physics?

Some common techniques for solving FODEs in physics include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for different types of FODEs (e.g. homogeneous, exact, or Bernoulli equations). Numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, can also be used for solving FODEs when an analytical solution is not possible.

5. How do mathematical methods in physics contribute to the development of new theories and models?

Mathematical methods play a crucial role in the development of new theories and models in physics. They allow us to make quantitative predictions and test the validity of existing theories. In addition, mathematical tools such as group theory and symmetry can help identify underlying patterns and principles in physical systems, leading to the development of new theories and models.