Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Programs

1. May 7, 2004 #1
    Hi All,

Does Anyone know of any Math programs that are easy to use that I can download from the net.
    What I am trying to do is organize a long string of digits in groups of three, add the groups, and subtract from each running total certain incremental values.

Thanks in Advance.

Dan

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most sophisticated math software is not free.

From the sound of it, you should be able to write a simple program in the language of your choice to do what you need to do, without having to use any pre-existing software.

- Warren

4. May 12, 2004 #3
    Thanks Warren,

I was able to do some significant things with microsoft Excel.
    I am not very familiar with programming languages but would like to begin study. Would you have any suggestions as to the language that can be learned the fastest that can also handle math well?

Dan

5. May 12, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, MATLAB comes to mind -- but it's not free.

- Warren

6. May 13, 2004 #5
    Hi Warren,

I heard that "Octave" is also free software and is also useful. I even have all the files unzipped in a folder. But it looks like a daunting task to learn how to install this.

Also. To learn a language like C++ or Basic; What kind of limitations might these have.

I am looking at writing a program that will search a broad spectrum of irrational numbers (roots of integers from zero up) - for certain patterns.
    For example the string of the 2187th root of 2368 displays remarkable properties that I would like to investigate. But I need to determine to what extend these patterns are due to random distribution.

What kind of a language do you think would be adequate, and one in which I should invest time in learning?

Thanks,
    Dan

7. May 13, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, neither C++ nor BASIC provide any actual math-related features; you'll have to code algorithms by hand. C++ is a much, much more useful language than is BASIC, so, on that merit alone, I suggest C++.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?