Mathematica issue with definite integrals

In summary, the user is trying to evaluate a definite integral using Mathematica, but the solution given is in terms of x and they are unsure why. They mention using DIntegrate for definite integration and someone helps them with the correct input.
RTourn

Homework Statement

I'm trying to evaluate the problem below but the Mathematica gives me is in terms of x. Can someone please help me solve this thing.

Homework Equations

Integrate[((2*A)(E^(-d*((m*x^2)/h) ) ) )^2,x,{x,0,Infinity} ]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution Mathematica gives me is (a^2 Sqrt[2 \[Pi]] x)/Sqrt[(d m)/h]
Why is there an "x" in the solution at all?
I'm using Mathematica 6.030

Physics news on Phys.org
u want to solving a definite integral where x varies from 0 to infinity...

i think the function for definite integration is DIntegrate. integrate just gives u indefinite integration

This is how the input should look. Putting an x after the expression tells it to antidifferentiate.

Code:
Integrate[((2*A)(E^(-d*((m*x^2)/h) ) ) )^2,{x,0,Infinity}]

@qntty Thanks it worked!

1. What is Mathematica and why is it used for definite integrals?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific computations. It is commonly used for solving complex integrals and other mathematical problems that are difficult to solve by hand.

2. How do I input a definite integral into Mathematica?

To input a definite integral into Mathematica, you can use the integral sign (∫) followed by the function or expression you want to integrate and the limits of integration. For example, the integral of x^2 from 0 to 5 would be written as ∫ x^2,x=0,5.

3. Why is Mathematica giving me an error message when I try to evaluate a definite integral?

There could be several reasons for this error message, including incorrect syntax, undefined variables, or a problem with the function or expression being integrated. Check your input and make sure all variables are defined before trying again.

4. Can Mathematica solve all types of definite integrals?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving integrals, it may not be able to solve every type of integral. Some integrals may be too complex or require specialized techniques that Mathematica does not have. It is always a good idea to double-check the solution to ensure it is correct.

5. Is it possible to graph the result of a definite integral in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has a built-in function called Plot that allows you to graph the result of a definite integral. Simply use the integral as the function in the Plot command and specify the limits of integration. You can also customize the graph by adding labels, changing the color or style, and adjusting the range of the x and y-axis.