1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Matrix exponential and applying it a random state

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1

td21

Gold Member

Let K be any Matrix, not necessarily the hamitonian. Is $$e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ equal to $$e^{-K\left|\psi\right>t}$$ even if it is not the the eigenvector of K?

I think so as i just taylor expand the $$e^{-Kt}$$ out but I want to confirm.

In that case can i say that $$\left<\psi\right|e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ = $$e^{-\left<\psi\right|K\left|\psi\right>t}$$?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure this is formally correct, as it looks weird. The product of an operator on a ket should give back a ket, not the exponential of a ket (whatever that is).

This is definitely not correct. Considering that you can expand ##|\psi\rangle## in terms of the eigenstates of ##\hat{K}##,
    $$
    |\psi\rangle = \sum_k c_k |k \rangle
    $$
    with
    $$
    \hat{K} |k \rangle = k |k \rangle
    $$
    then
    $$
    e^{-\hat{K}t} |\psi\rangle = \sum_k c_k |k \rangle e^{-k t}
    $$
    so
    $$
    \langle \psi | e^{-\hat{K}t} |\psi\rangle = \sum_k \left|c_k\right|^2 e^{-k t} \neq e^{-\langle \psi | \hat{K} |\psi\rangle t}
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted