Matrix exponential and applying it a random state

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the exponential of a matrix, not necessarily a Hamiltonian, acting on a ket is equal to the exponential of the ket acting on the matrix, even if it is not an eigenvector. The speaker initially believes it is true, but after further consideration realizes it is not correct.
td21
Gold Member
Let K be any Matrix, not necessarily the hamitonian. Is $$e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ equal to $$e^{-K\left|\psi\right>t}$$ even if it is not the the eigenvector of K?

I think so as i just taylor expand the $$e^{-Kt}$$ out but I want to confirm.

In that case can i say that $$\left<\psi\right|e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ = $$e^{-\left<\psi\right|K\left|\psi\right>t}$$?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
td21 said:
Let K be any Matrix, not necessarily the hamitonian. Is $$e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ equal to $$e^{-K\left|\psi\right>t}$$ even if it is not the the eigenvector of K?
I'm not sure this is formally correct, as it looks weird. The product of an operator on a ket should give back a ket, not the exponential of a ket (whatever that is).

td21 said:
In that case can i say that $$\left<\psi\right|e^{-Kt}\left|\psi\right>$$ = $$e^{-\left|\psi\right|K\left|\psi\right>t}$$?
This is definitely not correct. Considering that you can expand ##|\psi\rangle## in terms of the eigenstates of ##\hat{K}##,
$$
|\psi\rangle = \sum_k c_k |k \rangle
$$
with
$$
\hat{K} |k \rangle = k |k \rangle
$$
then
$$
e^{-\hat{K}t} |\psi\rangle = \sum_k c_k |k \rangle e^{-k t}
$$
so
$$
\langle \psi | e^{-\hat{K}t} |\psi\rangle = \sum_k \left|c_k\right|^2 e^{-k t} \neq e^{-\langle \psi | \hat{K} |\psi\rangle t}
$$

1. What is the matrix exponential and how is it calculated?

The matrix exponential is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the exponential of a square matrix. It is denoted by e^A, where A is the given matrix. To calculate the matrix exponential, the matrix is first diagonalized into its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Then, the exponential of each eigenvalue is calculated and multiplied by its corresponding eigenvector. Finally, the resulting matrix is multiplied by the inverse of the matrix of eigenvectors to obtain the matrix exponential.

2. How is the matrix exponential applied to a random state?

The matrix exponential can be used to solve systems of differential equations, which are often used to model the behavior of random states in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. By representing the state as a vector and the system as a matrix, the matrix exponential can be applied to the state vector to predict its evolution over time.

3. What properties does the matrix exponential possess?

The matrix exponential has several important properties, including linearity, invertibility, and commutativity. It also satisfies the fundamental property e^(A+B) = e^A * e^B, which allows for the simplification of complex matrix exponential calculations.

4. Are there any applications of the matrix exponential beyond solving differential equations?

Yes, the matrix exponential has a wide range of applications in various fields. It is used in physics to solve quantum mechanical systems, in economics to model economic growth, and in computer graphics to create smooth animations. It also has applications in statistics, control theory, and signal processing.

5. Is there any other way to calculate the matrix exponential without diagonalization?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the matrix exponential, such as using Taylor series or the Cayley-Hamilton theorem. However, diagonalization is the most commonly used method due to its simplicity and efficiency.