Max Height of Stone on Spring: 51.2 cm

In summary: And y is the distance the stone will go up.Now you can use the quadratic formula to solve for y.In summary, the figure shows a stone at rest on a compressed spring. After being pushed down an additional 32 cm and released, the stone rises to a maximum height of 51.2 cm due to conservation of energy. The calculations can be done using the spring constant and the distance the spring is compressed.
FlukeATX

Homework Statement

The figure shows an 7.9 kg stone at rest on a spring. The spring is compressed 10 cm by the stone. The stone is then pushed down an additional 32 cm and released. To what maximum height (in cm) does the stone rise from that position?

Homework Equations

k = mg/d
v = sqrt((kx^2)/m)
h = ((1/2)(v^2))/(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I've tried:
k = mg/d
k = (7.9)(9.8) / (.1)
k = 774.2 N/m

v = sqrt((kx^2)/m)
v = sqrt((774.2*.32^2)/(7.9))
v = sqrt(79.27808/7.9)
v = 3.1678

h = (1/2v^2) / (g)
h = (1/2)(10.0352) / (9.8)
h = .512m
h = 51.2cm

Does this seem correct? I only have one shot left on the wiley plus and don't want to risk it if it's wrong. Appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like the look of it! I don't think the mass will be moving when it reaches its maximum height, so no use calculating any speeds.

Seems to me you should be thinking in terms of energy.
gravitational potential energy + spring energy = constant.
mgh + 1/2k*x^2 = constant.
It shouldn't matter what reference level you use for the height, but for the extension it must be right. Would that be the initial level before the push, or before the stone is put on the spring?

I would consider the total potential of when the stone was released as my starting point. (This would treat x as the distance below the relaxed spring point and y as the distance above the relaxation point. And relaxed point is where the spring would have no weight at all.)

Then you can say from conservation of energy that

1/2*k*x2 = m*g*x + m*g*y + 1/2*k*y2

You know x from 10 + 32 cm and you know k as you have found already.

1. What is the significance of the "Max Height of Stone on Spring" being 51.2 cm?

The "Max Height of Stone on Spring" refers to the maximum height that a stone can reach when placed on a spring and released. In this case, the maximum height is 51.2 cm, which means that the spring can stretch up to 51.2 cm when the stone is placed on it.

2. How is the "Max Height of Stone on Spring" measured?

The "Max Height of Stone on Spring" is measured by placing the stone on the spring and releasing it, then measuring the height that the stone reaches before falling back down. This measurement is typically taken several times and an average is calculated to ensure accuracy.

3. Can the "Max Height of Stone on Spring" be altered?

Yes, the "Max Height of Stone on Spring" can be altered by changing the properties of the spring, such as its stiffness or length, or by changing the mass of the stone. These changes can affect how far the spring can stretch and therefore, the maximum height that the stone can reach.

4. What factors can affect the "Max Height of Stone on Spring"?

The "Max Height of Stone on Spring" can be affected by a variety of factors, including the properties of the spring (such as stiffness and length), the mass of the stone, the force applied to the spring, and external factors such as air resistance or friction.

5. What applications does the "Max Height of Stone on Spring" have in the scientific field?

The "Max Height of Stone on Spring" has various applications in the scientific field, particularly in the study of physics and mechanics. It can be used to understand the properties of springs and how they respond to different forces, as well as to study the effects of gravity and other external forces on objects in motion.