Max power of a photovoltaic cell -- where did I go wrong?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
whatisreality
Messages
286
Reaction score
1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
Show that for a PV cell finding a maximum of power leads to the following equation:
##(1 +\frac{qV_{max}}{kT})\exp\left(\frac{qV_{max}}{kT}\right) = 1 + \frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##
##I_{sc}## is short circuit current and ##I_{rs}## is reverse saturation current.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I get pretty close, but I've missed something out. The current is given by:
##I = I_{rs}(\exp(V/V_t)-1)-I_L = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)-I_L##
For maximum power ##P_{max} = I_{max}V_{max}## and ##I_{max}## is the short circuit current, which occurs at ##V=0##. Subbing ##V=0## into the current equation gives ##I_{sc} = -I_L##, so

##I = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)+I_{sc}##

Max power is at ##\frac{dP}{dV}=0## so given ##P=IV##:

##\frac{dP}{dV} = I_{rs}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}}-1)+\frac{qI_{rs}V_m}{kT}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}})+I_{sc}##

##\left(1+\frac{qV_m}{kT}\right)e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}} = -\frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##

That's very close to what I'm looking for, I'm missing a ##1## on the RHS and the sign of the fraction is wrong, have I gone wrong somewhere? I've looked and really can't spot it, thanks for any help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
For maximum power ##P_{max} = I_{max}V_{max}##
Only if Vmax and Imax can occur together, which does seem impossible.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: whatisreality and berkeman
haruspex said:
Only if Vmax and Imax can occur together, which does seem impossible.
Yes, that's wrong too, I saw ##I_m## and ##V_m## in my notes and assumed they meant maximum current and voltage rather than current and voltage at max power, I should have thought that through.
 
whatisreality said:
Yes, that's wrong too, I saw ##I_m## and ##V_m## in my notes and assumed they meant maximum current and voltage rather than current and voltage at max power, I should have thought that through.
Write out P in terms of V and Irs and do dP/dV.
Is IL a constant?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: whatisreality
haruspex said:
Write out P in terms of V and Irs and do dP/dV.
Is IL a constant?
Thanks for your help, spotted my mistake, I just rearranged wrong. My last two lines don't follow from each other. Silly mistake!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman