1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max power of a photovoltaic cell -- where did I go wrong?

1. Dec 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
    Show that for a PV cell finding a maximum of power leads to the following equation:
    ##(1 +\frac{qV_{max}}{kT})\exp\left(\frac{qV_{max}}{kT}\right) = 1 + \frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##
    ##I_{sc}## is short circuit current and ##I_{rs}## is reverse saturation current.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get pretty close, but I've missed something out. The current is given by:
    ##I = I_{rs}(\exp(V/V_t)-1)-I_L = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)-I_L##
    For maximum power ##P_{max} = I_{max}V_{max}## and ##I_{max}## is the short circuit current, which occurs at ##V=0##. Subbing ##V=0## into the current equation gives ##I_{sc} = -I_L##, so

##I = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)+I_{sc}##

Max power is at ##\frac{dP}{dV}=0## so given ##P=IV##:

##\frac{dP}{dV} = I_{rs}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}}-1)+\frac{qI_{rs}V_m}{kT}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}})+I_{sc}##

##\left(1+\frac{qV_m}{kT}\right)e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}} = -\frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##

That's very close to what I'm looking for, I'm missing a ##1## on the RHS and the sign of the fraction is wrong, have I gone wrong somewhere? I've looked and really can't spot it, thanks for any help!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Only if Vmax and Imax can occur together, which does seem impossible.

4. Dec 7, 2017 #3
    Yes, that's wrong too, I saw ##I_m## and ##V_m## in my notes and assumed they meant maximum current and voltage rather than current and voltage at max power, I should have thought that through.

5. Dec 7, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Write out P in terms of V and Irs and do dP/dV.
    Is IL a constant?

6. Dec 7, 2017 #5
    Thanks for your help, spotted my mistake, I just rearranged wrong. My last two lines don't follow from each other. Silly mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted