Max power of a photovoltaic cell -- where did I go wrong?

In summary, for a PV cell, finding the maximum power leads to the equation: (1+qVmax/kT)e^(qVmax/kT) = 1 + Isc/Irs, where Isc is the short circuit current and Irs is the reverse saturation current. To find the maximum power, Pmax, the derivative of P with respect to V must be equal to 0. However, it is important to note that Imax and Vmax cannot occur together.
whatisreality
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
Show that for a PV cell finding a maximum of power leads to the following equation:
##(1 +\frac{qV_{max}}{kT})\exp\left(\frac{qV_{max}}{kT}\right) = 1 + \frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##
##I_{sc}## is short circuit current and ##I_{rs}## is reverse saturation current.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get pretty close, but I've missed something out. The current is given by:
##I = I_{rs}(\exp(V/V_t)-1)-I_L = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)-I_L##
For maximum power ##P_{max} = I_{max}V_{max}## and ##I_{max}## is the short circuit current, which occurs at ##V=0##. Subbing ##V=0## into the current equation gives ##I_{sc} = -I_L##, so

##I = I_{rs}(e^{qV/kT}-1)+I_{sc}##

Max power is at ##\frac{dP}{dV}=0## so given ##P=IV##:

##\frac{dP}{dV} = I_{rs}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}}-1)+\frac{qI_{rs}V_m}{kT}(e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}})+I_{sc}##

##\left(1+\frac{qV_m}{kT}\right)e^{\frac{qV_m}{kT}} = -\frac{I_{sc}}{I_{rs}}##

That's very close to what I'm looking for, I'm missing a ##1## on the RHS and the sign of the fraction is wrong, have I gone wrong somewhere? I've looked and really can't spot it, thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
For maximum power ##P_{max} = I_{max}V_{max}##
Only if Vmax and Imax can occur together, which does seem impossible.

Likes whatisreality and berkeman
haruspex said:
Only if Vmax and Imax can occur together, which does seem impossible.
Yes, that's wrong too, I saw ##I_m## and ##V_m## in my notes and assumed they meant maximum current and voltage rather than current and voltage at max power, I should have thought that through.

whatisreality said:
Yes, that's wrong too, I saw ##I_m## and ##V_m## in my notes and assumed they meant maximum current and voltage rather than current and voltage at max power, I should have thought that through.
Write out P in terms of V and Irs and do dP/dV.
Is IL a constant?

Likes whatisreality
haruspex said:
Write out P in terms of V and Irs and do dP/dV.
Is IL a constant?
Thanks for your help, spotted my mistake, I just rearranged wrong. My last two lines don't follow from each other. Silly mistake!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell?

The maximum power of a photovoltaic cell refers to the highest amount of electrical power that can be generated by the cell under optimal conditions. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is influenced by factors such as the cell's material, size, and efficiency.

2. How is the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell determined?

The maximum power of a photovoltaic cell is determined by conducting a performance test, where the cell is exposed to a standard light source and its output is measured at various load resistances. The maximum power point is the point at which the cell's output is the highest.

3. What factors can affect the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell?

The maximum power of a photovoltaic cell can be affected by various factors such as temperature, shading, and aging. Higher temperatures can decrease the cell's efficiency and reduce its maximum power output. Shading can also significantly impact the cell's performance by reducing the amount of light it receives. Moreover, as the cell ages, its efficiency may decrease, leading to a lower maximum power output.

4. What are some common mistakes that can affect the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell?

Some common mistakes that can affect the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell include improper installation, inadequate maintenance, and using mismatched components. It is important to ensure that the cell is installed at the correct angle and orientation and is not obstructed by any shading. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the cell's surface, can also help optimize its performance. Additionally, using components (e.g. inverters) that are not compatible with the cell's specifications can lead to a reduced maximum power output.

5. Where can I go for more information on the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell?

There are various resources available for more information on the maximum power of a photovoltaic cell, including research articles, industry publications, and online forums. It is also recommended to consult with a qualified professional or the manufacturer of the cell for specific questions and concerns.